Sunday, November 28, 2004

Black Sunday

Moon Over Lake Michigan

We had a really, really nice Thanksgiving with our children in Chicago. Chicago is a great city and I love it and I love being with all my kids.  I'll write more about that as the week goes on.

For today, however:

By 11:00 I was on my way home from the grocery, congratulating myself on already having put in an hour's worth of writing a paper and another's hour's worth of grading papers, and having slipped out to buy several days' worth of food before anyone else was up.  I decided that I needed to gas up the car, and suddenly realized with a sinking feeling that I had no recollection of tossing my wallet/purse into the back with the groceries.  I pulled over, ascertained that there was, indeed, no purse in the car, and high-tailed it back the few blocks to the store.  I could only have left it in my cart in the parking lot. 

From which someone had taken it. 

Honestly.  The last four hours of my life, spent cancelling cards and bank accounts, would have been so much more pleasant and productive if whoever saw that purse in the cart had said, "Oh!  Look!  Someone will be really upset!  I'll just take this right in to customer service!"  I mean, what does that take? 

But no.  There was maybe all of $10.00 in that purse, which means that someone has probably already thrown it in the gutter or trash in frustration.  Unless, of course, it was lifted by some career criminal who knows what to do with things like social security and bank account numbers.  Make my day.  Is that creepy or what? -- to think that someone out there might already be turning herself into me.

Not a thing I can do about it -- except spend more hours in the next few days opening new accounts and trying to duplicate everything that's missing. 

I hope I am not about to be sucked into a new expertise in identity theft.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Bummer!  I'm glad that you noticed right away before they ran up your credit cards. Hopefully it was just some kid who was thrilled about the 10 bucks and isn't going to use your social security number for their purposes.  I don't carry my SS card with me, it's actually the most valuable number in your purse since it can't be cancelled.  Also, don't forget to cancel your library card; I read in the paper about someone's library card being stolen and they ended up owing over $300 to the library!!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture.  It opened up on my silly dial up computer one layer at a time and was just great!  Sorry about your purse.  I had my stolen a long time ago and really felt violated.  So sorry for you.

Anonymous said...

I suppose it's possible someone will return it to you in the next few days...  You can only hope.  Meanwhile, you're doing the right thing with the bank accounts and credit cards.  Big bummer, though!  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a pain!  Miserable to have a day turn out like that, but maybe this time you'll have a better picture on your driver's license :)

Anonymous said...

What a huge hassle!!  I hope it turns out to be a matter of replacing credit cards and documents vs any identity theft mess to fix!  Honestly, if I find things I always turn them in... it would never occur to me that I might be entitled to keep something.  

Anonymous said...

This is awful Robin, I am so sorry.  This happened to me once but I realized I didnt' have my wallet a day later.  I called the store, one far away that I usually didn't go to, and they said no they hadn't seen it.  I got busy cancelling and replacing everything.  I called the store a few more times and no they hadn't seen it still.  I was persistent and decided to take the 30 minute drive to the store and check again, lo and behold it had been there the whole time!

Anonymous said...

I did this once when my kids were little.  I left my purse in the front of the cart and stuffed the kids in the car and drove home.  I got home and realized my mistake and had a mini heart attack.  I headed out the door, went back to the store and asked if anyone had turned it in...NO...I went home dejected and then my phone rang and it was the woman who saw my purse and took it home with her so that she could call me and have me pick it up!!!  What a godsend that was.  Sorry this happened.  I really don't know what is happening with our world but the holidays don't seem to bring out the best of people unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

This is really too bad.  Think what a different entry you would have written if someone had returned your purse.  I wish  I had read that nonexistent entry instead of this one.  

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry this happened................ thinking of you and hoping somehow it all turns up or the thief's head suddenly rots off, judi