Sunday, January 23, 2005

Kaleidoscope

I do love to play with photos!  That's marsh grass in the snow up there.

But I also have a kaleidoscope of things about to get going in my life.

Tonight is our church annual meeting at which new elders and deacons are elected.  That would include me, a prospect which would be laughable to anyone who knew me in my younger days.  How wonderful -- truly full of wonder -- it is that we do not bear the burden of our high school personae throughout our lives.

Tomorrow night I am beginning a six week class on Meister Eckhart, 13th and 14th century Christian mystic.  It's one of a number of courses offered by an ecumencial educational organization in our city, which pulls in local college professors to teach  on a wide range of religious topics.  I took a course on St. Francis of Assisi from the same professor a couple of years ago, so I am really looking forward to this opportunity.

Tuesday night I begin my graduate course for the semester, this time an art history class on Michelangelo and the Medicis.  Even though I've been to Florence and teach (ahem!) world history, my knowledge of the European Renaissance is pretty sketchy.  By the way, I'm reading a terrific novel right now whose heroine is a would-be painter in the post-Medici years and I'm learning tons of history about which I knew nothing: The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant.  Buy The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant The problem with reading historical novels is the obsession with an era that inevitably follows, leading to more and more reading. . .   .

Despite the snow and the zero degree windchill (in which I walked for three miles today!) I am feeling ready for action.  This has been the first week-end in probably three months in which I have not been (a) preparing for a holiday (b) making the four-hour trip to see my stepmother or (c) sick.  Add in the bonus of a house entirely to myself for two days -- two children at college and the third with her father off in New Orleans visiting a prospective college -- and I have had a peaceful and energizing week-end.

I do understand that the weather in New Orleans is something of an improvement over ours.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I nearly picked up "The Birth Of Venus" at the bookstore the other day.  You're making me wish I had.

Anonymous said...

I admire your zest for learning, especially in regards to religion.  So glad to hear you had a nice weekend.  I can't wait to hear what happened at Tulane.  Pamela

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend!  Congrats on getting elected as an elder!  You are such a dedicated person with your studies, etc.  

Anonymous said...

<The problem with reading historical novels is the obsession with an era that inevitably follows, leading to more and more reading. . . >  Boy, can I attest to this one...!  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Your photo is awesome! Yup, I got the same problem. If I get into something, I do it all the way! I am a research fiend. If something sparks my interest, I'll have books and articles about the subject all over my house. Glad I am not the only one.

Anonymous said...

Always looking for a good obsession...I mean book!  

Anonymous said...

I envy you for getting to take the course on Meister Eckhart.  All of my knowledge of the Christian mystics is from my own scattered reading.  St. John of the Cross is fascinating; I've only read excerpts from Eckhart's works.  I have been reading THE DOUBLE FLAME by Octavio Paz, and he speaks briefly of the Christian mystics, explaining why the church found them so "dangerous."  Enjoy your course and let us know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Italian history has fascinated me since I read "The Agony and The Ecstasy" about Michelangelo.    I also read "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel.   These books and several trips to Italy make your book recommendation all the more compelling.   Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about the "obsession" that follows regarding particular historical eras. I went thru a "Henry IIIV" phase last summer. I was out of control. I wanted it all, factual, fictional, you name it! ~Sue

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I love your love of learning. I am trying to get through Milton's Paradise Lost. Cuz of my MS it's often hard to read, so I'm doing it on tape...whew!

Anonymous said...

awesome photo or kalaidascope effect thingiy! LOL...great work!  good for you to do 3 miles in this nasty cold weather!  inspiring!

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl