Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Oddities

I got involved in a little debate elsewhere from which I have tried to withdraw gracefully, owing to the snarky nature of some of the posts.  One of the more interesting aspects of the conversation, if you can call it that, was that a couple of people made fun of me for reading and pursuing an education.

I've never before heard of someone criticizing someone else for READING.  Just goes to show that, true enough, "there are more things in heaven and earth...than are dreamt of..." .  (Oops.  That's from a BOOK.  But it was a play before it became a high school staple, so that makes it sort of like...Desperate Housewives, maybe?)

So before I take off today, I thought I'd just mention, in case it's been overlooked, that oh, yes, I am a reader.  A smattering of what's lying around on the first floor of my house:

Coffee table: a small pile of magazines.  The lone book:  The Human Web: A Bird's Eye View of World History.

Bookstand behind the piano:  mostly travel and home magazines and my daughter's music.  The two copies of Antigone given to my sons by their beloved sixth grade humanities teacher as high school graduation gifts, in remembrance of the fun they had had performing Greek drama in her class.

My living room desk: a collection of religious magazines: a few years' worth of Weavings and Alive Now from The Upper Room.

Sunroom bookcase: three shelves of nature-related books.  A favorite: A Sand County Almanac.

Sunroom couch: a couple of miscellaneous books; Girl Meets God, for one.

Kitchen counter and bookcase:  the last week's papers, a couple of issues of Time, and some cookbooks.

Dining room bookcase: Five shelves of mostly books for teaching world history.  But I see Walking the Blue Ridge and A Guide to the Mountains-to-Sea Trailstuffed in there.

My computer desk:  again, mostly world history books.    Past Worlds: Atlas of Archaeology, for instance.

I'm too lazy to leave the computer, but suffice it to say that there are bookshelves in our bedroom, books next to and under the bed, books stacked in the guestroom, bookshelves in my daughter's room (where there are also books all over the floor), bookshelves in my sons' rooms, bookshelves in the attic.  And there is, actually, a library up there, which is overflowing with books.  And, of course, there are bookshelves in the basement. 

Just wanted to clarify that, around here, we see reading as a GOOD thing.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god...I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during THAT little exchange (criticising you for reading....?)  The fact that there are peope out there who are so militant about their semi-literate state explains a lot about what's going on in this country these days...  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm---I would love to read the thread that got you riled.  See--all that book larnin' don't git you nowhar but angry.

Anonymous said...

What is to be ridiculed about education and reading? Illiteracy is a problem in this country and everybody needs to applaud those who are reading and educating themselves.  Some people have the preconcieved notion that literacy and education are signs of elitism. Leave them in their caves! Yay, for enlightenment!

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your variety of books.  I too, have books all over the house, but they tend to be of the same kind.  Happy reading!  Pamela

Anonymous said...

I grew up hearing 'get you nose out of that book' or 'can't you do anything but read' or 'book smart isn't necessarily smart.'  The defense of reading is a long struggle with me.  Some people get it.  Others don't.  I'm glad I do.

Anonymous said...

Reading is a VERY GOOD THING...   I read a lot too... and its pathetic people who have to laugh at other peoples lives... sheesh...  around my house I have the occasional lust in the dust romance, gotta have a little brain candy... lol, but mostly I have books on Nature, Conservation, Writing, Enviormental Issues and Politics, Language, Insects, Medicanal Herbs, Native Amercian Anything... Birds and Wildlife, Habbits, Nature Crafts, Art, History, Geology, Poetry, and a few self helps.... and the occasional book of poems by famous authors.  I also have lots of childrens books, though I dont have any kids... kids books are the best teaching tools to use out in the field or in the class room.  They get right to the point and have all the facts listed neatly.  :)  Perfect when learning a new topics to teach.

love your Journal... thanks for visiting mine... will be back~  
http://journals.aol.com/shewolfdancing/LifeofAWolf

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't give those people the energy of your thoughts. Sounds like they need to read some books on manners so don't "read" into their comments too much. LOL

Anonymous said...

Sister--I grew up hearing 'get you nose out of that book' or 'can't you do anything but read' or 'book smart isn't necessarily smart.'  The defense of reading is a long struggle with me.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Boy, that really hits home with me.  

I was discussing this issue with one of my students today--the fact that the intellect is not valued in America today (case in point, look who's in the White House, and look who lost (somebody smart).  Clinton was smart, but he hid it under a Bubba persona.  Anyway, I think it's very telling that you were attacked for your vocabulary and for being well-read. Telling about the attackers.  It really is not possible to carry on a logical discussion with people who do not respect logic and learning.  Great books all around you!  

Anonymous said...

Your house sounds like mine. We are overflowing with books. I love them too much! When ds was 2 or 3, one his his favorite books (and mine) was Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The version we had was a Caldecott winner, and the illustrations were fabulous. On every single page, in every room of the bears' house, there were books scattered about -- on the floor, in the bed, on tables. I just loved the subtle message it sent.

Anonymous said...

I am out of loop on this one, but only illiterate dolts would somehow fault people who open their hearts and minds to new thoughts and ideas. I respect your mind my friend! judi

Anonymous said...

Hear hear.  It's hard to believe that ANYONE would think otherwise!  Your house sounds like mine!  My birthday was Mon., and what did I ask for (and receive)? BOOKS!

Anonymous said...

don't sweat the naysayers!  You're doing great!  :-)

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl    

Anonymous said...

Who cares what the Neanderthals think!  I can not imagine a world without books......the gateway to anywhere you want to go.

Anonymous said...

I like your philosophy, Horatio.

Anonymous said...

If reading is a sin, then I'm a sinner too.

Anonymous said...

Seriously... what kind of simpleton insults another for reading?
Reading, pursuing an education, any exercise of the intellect is something to be admired and respected.

And Holy Toledo, you have a lot of books! lol

Anonymous said...

well hah, you "read" my mind here.  i did a little entry like this in my book journal last year around this time, and was just thinking of doing it again, a year later.  mine was just a list of books on and around the bedside shelf, but i think i will expand it this time, as you did here.  last year's entry was
journals.aol.com/marigolds2/TheBiblioPhiles/entries/338     and i'll give you the current one when i write it!
and, btw, that "little debate" really ate my lunch.  i have totally given up on it, though the last time i looked you and cynthia were perseverating in what seems to me a hopeless task.  i truly do not believe this is a person who wants to learn anything outside their extant perameters, ever.  and their perameters don't extend very far, i must say.

Anonymous said...

somewhere on my shelves, in a collection of Greek plays, there is Antigone,  Sand County Almanac is on my nature writing shelf, we have several books on hiking the Appalachian Trail, not anything on NC in particular - many books on Archeology and ancient history.

Anonymous said...

I agree - don't sweat it - your journal is great. Sounds like you have lots of interesting reading around there too! ~ Lori