Sunday, October 2, 2005

The Frozen Chosen Loosen Up

We Presbyterians often refer to our uptight selves as the Frozen Chosen, but on occasion we do know how to melt a little.

Today is World Communion Sunday, shared by Protestant churches across the globe.  Our fabulous music director put together a worship service in celebration of Africa, and our altar was covered with African print fabric and piled high with loaves of an Ethiopian bread.  The music was Zulu, South African, Nigerian, Liberian, Ghanaian, and Cameroonian.  I'm sure I've got some of the suffixes wrong, but you get the idea.  We had an incredibly talented drummer and by the end of the service even some of the really frozen types (that would include yours truly) were rattling around some noisy instruments.

You can listen to Siyhambe here.  (We were louder.)

Siyahamb' e-hu-kha-nyen' kwen-khos, Siyahamb' e-ku-kha-nyen' kwen-khos.

Siyahamba, hamba, siyahamba, oo-oo, siyahamb' e-khu-kha-nyen'kwen khos.

We are marching in the light of God, we are marching in the light of God.

We are marching, marching, we are marching, oo-oo, We are marching in  the light of God.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo. Get down wit' your bad self.

Anonymous said...

Ack.  I couldn't open the link.

Hey, Robin - you go girl!!  There is something incredibly freeing about letting go in a large group who are all celebrating together.  Sounds uplifting and glorious - yea!!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

I think this movement toward more open and creative movement and music in religious services is taking place across denominations.  Look at the "modern" Christian churches with their contemporary worship.  And our Classical Reform temple has even begun having drums and tambourines for congregants during Friday night shabbat services.  It's not my taste but I'm getting used to it.   Give me a few more times and I may even start playing myself!

Anonymous said...

    I am Roman Catholic. We have what we call sister churches, which means that we will reach out to another Catholic parish, usually one who's parishioners need financial aid. We help the people who go to that church by donating used clothing, adopting children at Christmas, collecting prepared food once a month, and turkey certificates during the holidays. We also do Masses together. We go by the bus load. Our sister Church is in a neighborhood in Chicago called Little Village. It's mostly Hispanic. Our choir goes there to sing and their's comes to our Church. Even though our Masses are fairly uniform the world over, it is facinating to see the changes brought by ethnicity. Their alter clothes, garments and decorations are much more festive, and their music has a definate Latin excitement to it. It's a lot of fun. After Mass we share meals, and that's fun, too, especially since my Church is multi ethnic and racial.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

LOL  Love the "Frozen Chosen".  My background is Lutheran.  We have had all sorts of titles applied...too funny.  My church started a contemporary service about four years ago...I am "down" with all the current music in the music world...but to me some things are just better left alone.  Now, that doesn't necessarily apply to experiencing other cultures  and their ideas of worship...I just can't get into the lazer pointing Power Point  approach...my Lutheran grandma would be proud. LOL ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been at your church yesterday.   It sounds much more inspiring than what I experienced due to a last minute change in venue for us.