Wednesday, October 5, 2005

October Is The Cruellest Month

I could fill reams of paper with stories of a family under seige, a family marked forever by that relentless stalker, grief.  I could write about growing up without a mother, under the twin shadows of loss and alcoholism.   

But for today, I simply want to do the events of October 5, 1960 the honor of recording them.  

It was a perfectly ordinary day.   Everyone says that, according to Joan Didion in the recent Sunday Times article in which she explores the staggering grief she has experienced since the death of her husband.  Everyone begins the narrative of sudden and unexpected death with the same preamble.  "It was an ordinary day."  Even Joan Didion begins with those words, despite the fact that she had spent the earlier part of the afternoon on which her husband suddenly died visiting her daughter, who was in the hospital in a coma.  

It was for us, however, really an ordinary day, exactly 45 years ago.  I was late to school and missed the bus.  I almost always missed the bus, because my mother wanted me to eat breakfast and in second grade I was never hungry that early.  As she did almost every morning, my father's mother waved to us from her dining room window as we drove down the hill past her house. 

A little later, as she would tell me when I was grown, my mother's mother, who lived a mile away, in town,  walked into our house, calling the name of her daughter.  Dishes had been left on the table and a load of laundry was running in the basement.   

"Carol!  Carol?" she called.  It was an ordinary morning and she was going to spend it with her daughter and grandsons. She had begun to clear the dishes when my father's mother walked in.  

"Oh, Dorothy," she said, in a pained voice that barely emerged from her lips.  The two grandmothers looked at each other and thought, This is not happening.  This communication that is about to pass between us cannot be.

After she had waved to us, my father's mother, still in her nightgown and robe, had turned back to her kitchen from her dining room.  Before she had taken more than a few steps, she heard a thunderous crash from the road below the hill.  She grabbed the telephone and called for an ambulane, saying urgently, "I think my family has been in an accident."  Then she took off down the hill, running at breakneck speed down the drive and a quarter of a mile down the road.  

My mother was already gone.  My baby brother died a few hours later, having been transported to Children's Hospital with massive brain injuries.  I lay in the ditch, screaming for my mother.  

My other brother, who was four and has no real memory of ever having had a mother, is the only one left who has any recollection of the moments before the accident.  He says that our mother glanced into the back seat where we were located, and then there was darkness.  Apparently we swerved just over the center line as an oncoming car crested the hill in front of us.  

When my brother woke up in the hospital four days later, his skull fractured and his elbow shattered, I had been lying there conscious for 48 hours already, weighted down by my full leg cast and abdominal stitches. And other things.  The adults wheeled my tiny brother out of the room to tell him what I already knew, and the hallway stiffened against a child's wails, just as it had two days earler.  

And then we began, my brother and I, murmuring in our hospital beds as the leaves outside the window turned yellow and red, to build our lives anew.  We were children, and so we were brave and did not know that we were small.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh ohn'...hugs upon hugs for you two children...hug upon hugs. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Oh, Robin.  I'm wordless.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry.  I know there's nothing I can say.
~Pamela

Anonymous said...

Reading this simply gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes.  I can't imagine the horrendous grief of so many members of your family.... you and your brother, your father, the grandparents.  It is hard to fathom how in one split second, the lives of so many people can be completely changed forever.  Stacy

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these painful memories and experiences, Robin.  I had chills and tears as I read your account.

Anonymous said...

Robin, I`m so sorry. My heart goes out to you.
This is beautifully written.
V

Anonymous said...

I can't even imagine!  And your grandmother knew exactly what happened when she heard the crash, how awful.  {{{{}}}}

Anonymous said...

Your grief is so beautifully written I can feel the pain.  Pennie

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your heartache and grief, not only as a child growing up but also now as an adult and I wish there were magical comforting words I could write to you.  

Anonymous said...

Comment?  Impossible...  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

this is such a tragic story, so beautifully written.  

Anonymous said...

What a well-written and heart-wrenching story!  I am so sorry for your loss and grief!  Hugs, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Dear Robin, dear, dear Robin.  How sad, how lost and lonely you must have been.  You paint such a poignant and wrenching picture.  This is a story you must have gone over a million times, yet you write it with a freshness that shows the continuing pain.  

Such loss is so hard for adults, and it is inexplicable for children.  I feel for you, and want to scoop up and hold close the little children you write of.

Thinking of you today,

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

This breaks my heart.

Anonymous said...

I am speechless!
I don't think I have ever read an entry that has touched me so deeply...


Wishing you health, happiness and laughter.
TJ~

http://journals.aol.com/paisleyskys/PaisleySkys
http://journals.aol.com/vaultofsecrets/MoonDancer

Anonymous said...

oh. Thank you for sharing this. judi

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss, but thank you so much for sharing it.

Judi

Anonymous said...

Now I see what Lisa (Coming to Term's) meant.


Hugs.....I know what growing up without a parent means and I lost mine violently in October too so I know about that as well...


Christina

http://journals.aol.com/ckays1967/myjourneywithMS/

Anonymous said...

PS:  because of my dad's murder my mom hates October...  this is part of what I left in her journal the other day:

If I were a gardener I'd plant only bulbs in your October and remind you that April is coming Mom...April comes still.


Anonymous said...

"We were children, and so we were brave and did not know that we were small."

The most poignant bit of prose I have read in a very long time.    You honor your mother and your brother by remembering.     Joan Didion's article was very powerful and very real.

Anonymous said...

If there can ever be great beauty in grievous loss, it exists in these words you have written.

Anonymous said...

Your words paint a vivid and painful, but loving tribute to your mother and brother.  I cannot possibly imagine what it must be like to grow up without them.  De

Anonymous said...

What are writers always told? "Write what you know." Your pain is palpable. Reading this broke my heart.

Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/lici/AWritersAngst

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had to live through this, but live through you have.  I am sure the pain of your loss will never completely go away.