Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Going Backward

Millwheel at Camp

So I thought I had two kids settled in North Carolina and one to get ready to leave for France at the end of the week.  It has only taken about seven months to co-ordinate all the comings and goings of this summer. 

Why did I bother?????

A call from the camp doctor last night: it seems that the son down there probably has mono.  We had left him with a sore throat and orders to go to the health center, thinking that he might have picked up strep when he was there the week before.  Now it seems that strep would have been an easy way out.  His first test was negative, but the more sensitive one comes back today.

Luckily, he is not in charge of a cabin full of little boys this week.  He was supposed to be working on the farm, helping kids milk cows and play with goats and harvest corn -- all things he can do if he perks up in the next couple of days.  Or not.  The camp staff is amazingly able to take things in stride, and they are willing to let him lie around for awhile and then start working, or come home to sleep it off and then go back to work.  So after I drop his brother at the Cincinnati airport on Friday, I may be heading south again.  Or not.

Pause while I take call from pediatrician here... .

OK, so he says NC son is likely to feel much better in a week and should stay where he is, and France son is unlikely to have mono but if he does there's not a thing we can do about it and it won't show up for 6 weeks anyway so he should get on the plane. 

The level of stress in my life was already sort of, shall we say, high.  Let's watch it skyrocket.

I need a walk.

Walked: 3 miles.

Walked in June: 99.5 miles!

Walked since beginning journal: 275.7 miles

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need a 10 mile hike to me.  Hope everything works out for you.

Anonymous said...

Oh my!    There truly is never a dull moment there.    I'm glad you dealt with the stress in such a positive way.    275 miles - wow!   Are you walking someplace specific like St. Augustine or just watching the numbers?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on having walked almost 100 miles in a month!  Amazing.  I don't know how you manage to find the time with so much else going on.

Anonymous said...

I hope that all is well with the NC camp son.  I'm glad that they are willing to try and ride his illness out with him...hopefully he will still get to enjoy a bit of his summer.  Excellent walking results for June. Way to go.  You should be VERY proiud of yourself.