Monday, June 28, 2004

On the Marsh

One of my favorite places in the world is the Matanzas River marsh in St. Augustine. 

Not too long after our arrival, I discovered a kayak rental place a few miles down the road from where we were staying.  It was early in the morning and I went back to our condo, hoping to rouse some company for my adventure, but no one would budge.  So within an hour I was out on the water by myself, enjoying daybreak from the vanatage point of the birds.

And such birds!  I stopped at a tiny island in the middle of the river, where a pair of willets hovered and cried frantically overhead.  Whether it was a clutch of eggs or tiny young, their treasure was invisible to me.  I didn't spend much time there, since the birds were clearly in distress.

http://www.nps.gov/calo/graphics/03110wil.jpg

The islands were covered in oystershells and, sure enough, on another tiny island I encountered a family of oystercatchers, two parents and two almost-grown chicks.  Oystercatchers are striking black-and-white birds with long orange bills; they are unmistakable and fun to watch.  They weren't too happy about my arrival either.

Photo of an oystercatcher http://northeast.fws.gov/migratorybirds/events.htm

 

I crossed the wide river and spent some time poking around the water trails of the marsh.  Great egrets, snowy egrets, little blue and great blue herons stalked the waters and sailed over the reeds.  Osprey circled high above me, and at one point I observed a tri-colored heron ( a Louisiana heron, for those of us who prefer the older, more romantic names). 

I can never decide whether I prefer the ocean side or the river side of the intracoastal.  I guess I prefer them equally.  The peacefulness of being the lone person on the expanse of a wide river under a wider sky is an experience I could relish every morning of my life.

Walked: 5 miles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds wonderful.   You've inspired me.   I found a kayak rental place on the Cape and will check it out next week.

Anonymous said...

Ah...birding in the marshes of Florida.  That would probably be right near the top of the list of things I'd love to do on a dream vacation.  Forget the hotels, bars, and shows!  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

>> The peacefulness of being the lone person on the expanse of a wide river under a wider sky is an experience I could relish every morning of my life. <<  This says it all for me .... I'm envious!