Wednesday, December 1, 2004

The Bean

We had a second day in Chicago, and spent most of it wandering around.  One of our stops was the Bean sculture at Millenium Park -- the sculpture has a real name, but everyone calls it "The Bean," for obvious reasons.  That's my son in front, mimicing the Bean:

We spent a lot of time at the Art Institute -- I had no idea that its collection is so extensive.  Duh, it's Chicago.  Van Gogh, Renoir, Monet, Picasso, Degas, on and on and on.  A favorite is a display downstairs of little dioramas depicting home interiors in exquisite detail -- makes you want to go right out and start a dollhouse hobby.  Most of the interiors are American and European, but there are a few Asian examples.  Since I'm teaching early America right now, it was fun to note the contrast between the rough Jamestown settlement that my students are studying and the luxury and ostentation of English libraries and drawing rooms of the same time period.

We also did a tiny bit of shopping -- one purchase -- and went to see the big tree at Marshall Field's and went to one of my son's favorite hot dog extravaganza restaurants for dinner.  And we went to The Incredibles -- not something I would have ever chosen on my own, but a lot of fun.

Underneath the Bean

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the things I miss about Chicago is the Art Institute.  I must have gone there a dozen times on field trips with various school groups.  It's really is top-notch.  
And you can hardly mention Chicago to my husband without including a "hot dog extravaganza restaurant" in the same breath.  His favorite was "Tastee Hasty Dog," a little hole in the wall on the north side.  No seating...strictly walk up, order at the window, and eat in your car.  This is where we went for dinner on our first date!  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there.

Anonymous said...

That Bean is incredible!  What a beautiful picture

Anonymous said...

How wonderful and I LOVE the BEAN!!!!!!!!!!!! judi

Anonymous said...

You are making me want to spend time in Chicago!

Anonymous said...

I love the "son mimicing Bean"-your childrens' enthusiasm for life is so wonderful.  Can you spot your reflection in the under the Bean shot?