Tuesday, December 28, 2004

On the Lake

Yesterday, with the sun shining and the cold not quite so cold, I decided to act on my first New Year's Resolution: to spend some time on the lakefront each month.  Despite my jumping the gun on the New Year, my little venture wasn't a terribly successful one, since I had chosen a city park where most of the roads haven't been plowed.  You need snowshoes, skis, or a sled to get down to the beach, and all I had were my feet in boots and my own creaky legs. 

I did get in about two miles of walking --  of course, despite the sunshine, the lake winds provided a bitter version of cold not experienced on my sheltered street several miles away -- and enjoyed the view.  And then, just before I left, I found a small cove sheltering ducks:  mallards, common mergansers, scaup, a pair of canvasbacks, and a raft of buffleheads.  Buffleheads are among my favorite ducks.  Who could not love the name? -- and they completely live up to it!  Their presence makes winter quite a bit more tolerable.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The surprise cache of water fowl would make even the bitterest(?) wind tolerable for me.  Birds always brighten my day.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

I really admire your resolve.  I haven't been out and about since the big snow!  Been lounging around in my jammies most days!  Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Beauiful pictures!  If I could walk I would be out there drinking it all in.  Very winterful lovely.  Pennie  

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photograph!  I'm really sorry I'm not moving to Cleveland as I know I'd love to be near the water.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photographs....

Anonymous said...

Well, look at that! I just got through writing in MY journal about seeing a bunch of wintering ducks; Bufflehead were among them, naturally.  :-)   It's hard to see sometimes, but the males have a beautiful irridescence on the black of their heads. Really very pretty.  

Anonymous said...

gorgeous photos!  Happy  Holidays!

~JerseyGirl

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Reading your J made me aware that there are different ducks. I only knew of mallards. Bodies of water seems to have a calming effect on me. You reminded me that I need to check out the beach.

Anonymous said...

Great shots. I saw buffleheads at Rock Harbor, but they kept swiiming away when I approached.

Anonymous said...

I love the little duck!  The can almost be felt in your photo of the lake.  Brrr!  I hope you are able to keep that resolution.  The lake is lovely.  Penny  

Anonymous said...

lovely!! Happy new year to you!!!! judi

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year. I love ducks!!! Thanks for the photos!