Thursday, July 28, 2005

Conventional Christianity -- Sort of

This entry was initially inspired by the discussions over at Point & Counterpoint, where Jodi  hosts an opportunity for folks of opposing viewpoints (sometimes, anyway) to express themselves.  Her religion/spirituality topic generated some heat and, combined with comments others have left me about my obvious interest in religion, got me thinking about trying to articulate my own beliefs.  So, a first try at decipering who I am:

**********************

            A wholly conventional Christian. 

            A flexible and progressive Christian.

            A Christian who is not capable of believing that there is only one way.

 

            Conventional?  Oh, yeah.  I believe that we are called by God to a way of life faithful to God’s ways, but we are called to be who we are where we are.  I have spent my life in the midst of mainline American Protestantism, with a spicy sprinkling of Catholicism and thunderous 19th century evangelicalism, and I make no apologies for being who I am.  My Puritan forebears planted their feet on the rocky shores of New England and left behind traces of DNA  which have emerged in my soul as a willingness to align myself with the combined forces of convention and rebellion that have formed the Christian church for 2,000 years.  I follow the church year; I know that right now we are in “Ordinary Time.”  I like a service that moves along “decently and in order,” which makes me a Presbyterian.  I like a literate and challenging sermon, and I’m not much moved by liturgical ceremony, which makes me a Protestant.   I’m happy in huge cathedrals with elaborate sculpture and stained-glass windows, and I’m happy in small white clapboard churches with simple altars and clear glass windows and  I’m quite certain that God moves in and out of both places.  I like to sing (off-key) traditional hymns accompanied by a fine organ, because I am a little bit acquainted with the Bible and a little bit with music and the two have been combined by composers whose skills reach far beyond what is called “Contemporary Praise Music” (which itself is fine, on occasion ~ rare occasion). And I have no illusions that any of the above is necessary to worship or hear God ~ but because of who I am, they all collude to make God’s presence accessible to me.

 

            Flexible and progressive?  I would like to think so, anyway.  The spiritual path along which I trek is often lit by the giants of the Catholic church:  Julian of Norwich, Ignatius, Francis, Benedict.  And even more so by the great scholars of the Bible.  I tend to come to faith through the mind  ~  others come by the heart, or by service, or by contemplation, or by proclamation of the kingdom ~ but again, we are who we are, and we tend to find God as we are.  I’m a Bible nerd ~ fascinated by its complexities; drawn to its history, literature, and ambiguity; always seeing it as enhanced and enlarged by a critical textual approach and always dismayed by attempts to shrink it with claims of inerrancy.  Its message is a simple one, but not an easy or comforting one:  Love God, and love everyone else.  There’s nothing sentimental or simple about following a life path faithful to the Christian message.  But as I give it time to settle in my guts, I see it with increasing clarity.  The call is to approach everything ~ everything ~ in a manner exactly opposite to that which seems intuitive to us.  War is out; provision is in.  To expand: we make war on everyone and everything:  our siblings, our spouses, our friends and colleagues, our environment, our neighbors ~ at home and abroad.  We’re supposed to be providing for them instead.  It’s that simple ~ and that complicated. 

 

            “I am the way, and the truth, and the light.”  From the Gospel of John.  Always a challenging bit for those of us constitutionally incapable of  believing that there is only one way to God.  It doesn’t help to know that Jesus probably didn’t actually say that ~ that those are words attributed to him by a community writing decades after his death, a community increasingly isolated from its Jewish roots and therefore increasingly in need of  making a radical statement of its certitude and righteousness.  The fact remains that those words ARE attributed to him in a canon that we accept as ours, so they mean something significant.  I’ve come to believe that the word “Love” can be substituted for the word “I.”  “Love is the way, the truth and the light.”  For those of us who find great meaning in God’s incarnation as one of us, who are moved and deeply affected by what we perceive as the knowledge that God came here to spend time and space and energy as we do, to perceive dimension as we do, the words are fine as they are reported.  For those who are skeptical or simply incredulous with respect to the whole Christian enterprise, the  words can be read differently without diluting their import.  Again, I believe that we are called to be who we are called to be. 

 

            “I believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.” So begins the Apostles’ Creed, repeated every week by Christians in the western world.  It was a stroke of early church genius to clarify God in three persons ~ a God who can speak to each of us, regardless of our idiosyncratic approaches to life.  I tend to say “I believe in God the Father and Mother,” or “I believe in God the Creator” ~ which is what I think the early church fathers meant, despite their inability to think outside the limits of a patriarchal imperial world.  I believe in God as a Creator who liked to play ~ can you imagine what a time God must have had inventing sunsets, and grasshoppers, and eagles, and tulips, and the Grand Tetons, and bananas?  Not to mention people of different  colors and sizes whose experiences of their world and, therefore, of God, would differ?  I believe in  God as a Christ who came here, seeking to build friendships and alleviate suffering. And I believe in God as a Spirit who infuses everything  with the potential that we might provide for each other.

           

            And WHY do I believe all that?  I have no idea.  It’s a gift.

 

           

 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for making the type bigger, this was a pleasure to read.  You are absolutely correct, it is a gift that you have been given.  I have faith in the future that you are going to run with that gift and share it with others.  I think you have a calling and really need to look into making it into a career for yourself.  

Anonymous said...

<I tend to come to faith through the mind  >

This is how I would approach it, too, if I was ever inclined to approach it again.  The problem is, the last experience I had with faith was with Pentecostalism---which is about as far away from the "mind" approach as you can get.  When I realized this was an entire Christian movement that was based on jerking people around by their emotions, I dropped it like a hot rock.  I just couldn't DO that.  

BTW, the political scene in America today is starting to frighteningly resemble that experience...  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

TYTY Marc!  I abwhore<--I meant to spell it that way--political debates, but I am always intrigued by the vehemence of a spiritual debate.  It always comes down to the intangibles...Faith;  b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (taken from the AOL dictionary).  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Nicely done.  ...Amen.
Best,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

Oh my. That was brilliantly written. I have added a new blog to my subscription. If there were more Christians like you, there would be fewer atheists like me.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

Your faith is really inspiring.  I hope that you pursue this as your next career calling.  You would be terrific.  Especially learning in Atlanta, LOL.   Pamela

Anonymous said...

Your writing is amazing and honestly as good or better than much of what is currently published.  You have a true gift (another one) and I hope you're able to see a way to further develop it.  Stacy

Anonymous said...

This is probably the best response yet to this little hot topic....a topic I may just avoid.  Lord KNOWS I have an opinion or two about God.  He really does.

Well written, thoughtful and still clearly impassioned.

Christina

Anonymous said...

Excellent entry!  I loved it!  You should submit to CarnivAOL!!!  You touched on all the reasons I like about being a Christian!!!  

Be well,
DAwn

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to decide if I could write anything half coherent about what I believe.    The similarities between us despite our different denominations were not surprising but most interesting.    

I wonder about the DNA comment though and am trying to figure out if I think that faith is buried anywhere in our chemistry and, as such, can our forebears really have so much impact on our spiritual lives.     I think the reason they call it "practicing" religion is because it is through repitition that we find comfort, become meditative, and feel the presence of our God.    Perhaps the practice of our individual faiths becomes part of our chemistry and is passed on.    I have tried unsuccessfully but obviously without much inertia to leave the church where I was born.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry!  It's hard to be a Christian Democrat these days though....ROFLMAO....I'm afraid to go to Church!

By the way you are absolutely right....FAITH is a GIFT....beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I can't get into a God who would require worship.

Anonymous said...

Hey!  You listened to me and submitted it to CarnivAOL!  YAY!

Be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is a gift.  Faith is a gift.  But I would also say that gift is backed up by reason.  That is Catholic Teaching.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I always call myself "a back sliding Methodist"....still believe just haven't gotten motivated in recent years...good article...Sandi http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/LifeIsFullOfSurprises

Anonymous said...

The second time reading this is even better than the first.  Glad you submitted it to CarnivAOL.  ...Amen!
Best,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful, and you've distilled something so deep into a piece so accessible that people can really get it.  Great job.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely profound. I am saving this to read again and again. Blessings, Sassy

http://journals.aol.com/SassyDee50/SassysWORD