Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Ora et Labora

This week I'm taking a graduate class in church history.  It's a terrific interlude -- everyone except me is Catholic, all the students except  me teach in Catholic high schools, and our professors are from a variety of disciplines - history, religious studies, art history, etc.  I love it!  My own students are intensely curious about religions outside their Jewish heritage, so we will all benefit.  I finally learned something about the formation of the College of Cardinals, that body which elects the Pope (did you know it's only been around for 1000 years?) and by the time I finish my little paper sometime this summer, I'll know some more.

Tonight was probably the highlight of the week for me.  One of our participants is a monk in our local Benedictine abbey, the only abbey in our state and the largest urban abbey in the country, and he invited us over for evening Vespers and a tour. I've longed to explore Benedictine life ever since I first read Kathleen Norris's The Cloister Walk -- and here there is a Benedictine house right in my backyard! 

As a world history teacher, I always cover St. Benedict, the founder of western monasticism, and his sixth century formulation of the Rule which is the model for all kinds of orders of convents and monasteries worldwide. This week I've had a chance to learn a great deal more about early monasticism.  It was a privilege tonight to be present for a service monks have been chanting for 1500 years and then watch a Powerpoint presentation made by a thoroughly 21st century monk wearing robes of another era.  Benedictine hospitality is very much alive and well!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds really cool!!!  Pamela

Anonymous said...

What an interesting class, with interesting students.  

Anonymous said...

WOW!  TYTY for the unwitting encouragement.  I head back to university this fall to pursue a masters in teaching.  It is nice to see enthusiasm.                C.                http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

what a neat class to take Robin!   I live about a mile from a Norbertine Abbey, I've been to church there, but I'd love to get a tour sometime, there is so much history.  

Anonymous said...

Damn...you do the best stuff!  Monastic life has always fascinated me.  Imagine being surrounded by all that Catholocism.  At least it's more or less part of MY heritage...  Have fun.  Once again, wish I was there....  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

I love "The Cloister Walk." I also have "Amazing Grace." Both are excellent.  Sounds like a wonderful class. Good luck. In many ways Benedict was ahead of his time. I wonder how much different the world would be if we greeted each stanger as if it just might be Christ returning.  :-)

Jackie

Anonymous said...

It sounds so interesting, Robin! Glad you are so thoroughly enjoying the class.

Anonymous said...

Boy, it really sounds interesting! Enjoy!
V

Anonymous said...

Remind me to tell you the one about the abbott and the new recruit.

Anonymous said...

You are always doing the most interesting things!  Sounds like a great class. Are you just taking it for fun, or are you working towards another degree?

Anonymous said...

Fascinating stuff.

Anonymous said...

I'm so fascinated and intrigued!  Having an art/art history/architecture background, it's impossible not to "bump into" religion, specifically Catholicism (cradle Episcopalian, here).  Looking forward to reading more of your entries regarding this.
Best,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

I am always fascinated by church history about when various layers of dogma and rules were added.   I have heard vespers sung and it's beautiful.    There is an abbey in rural Vermont which is both beautiful and restful.

Anonymous said...

The photo looks like a dark, cool sanctuary from the heat and the curriculum sounds so inviting as well.  As you said, it's like you are stepping back into history!   I am occasionally drawn out to San Xavier del Bac on the edge of town, a Spanish mission still run by Franciscan friars.  The restored frescoes are incredible--check it out on the web!  Haven't been out there for my usual summer pilgrimage (I like your word 'interlude') so thanks for your entry to remind me.  Serendipity!  As a non-Catholic sitting in an 18th century adobe sanctuary I feel like I'm in another world; I pray, meditate, light a candle and leave renewed in a different way than my usual worship.      

On a tangent, I recommend Sue Kidd's new novel The Mermaid Chair, which involves a Benedictine Monastery on an island off the coast of South Carolina and a woman on a journey of re-discovery at midlife--not to mention a relationship with a monk.

Anonymous said...

Addendum to Commandment 3
Help the poor to help themselves.
Tags: | Edit Tags
Monday May 26, 2008 - 11:46am (PDT) Edit | Delete | Permanent Link | 0 Comments
Addendum to Commandment 2
The oppressed also include blacks, minorities, people of color, gays, the disabled and people of different religions. Give them all equal rights.
Tags: | Edit Tags
Sunday May 25, 2008 - 12:56pm (PDT) Edit | Delete | Permanent Link | 2 Comments
New Commandments
Here are some more commandments that we can ignore:

1. Heal the sick. All over the world. Not just America.

2. Free the oppressed. In Tibet, Burma, Palestine, America and all over the world. Free women too. Give them equal rights.

3. Help the poor. All over the world and in America too.

4. Protect the unborn.

5. Take care of the earth. All of God's art.

6. Have mercy on all. Including prisoners and criminals. No more torture or inhumane treatment of any kind. No capital punishment. We are all murderers and criminals. For example, most Americans killed 600,000 Iraqis over a lie.

7. Do justice to all. Including the weak and powerless. Including the victims of crime.

8. Try to be fair. Find the correct balance between mercy and justice.

9. Try to find the correct balance. In all things.

10. Be nonviolent. Violence should be the very last resort. Currently it is not and never has been. Maybe it was a last resort in World War II. But it was the harsh reparations after World War I that eventually led to World War II. Follow the examples of Martin Luther King, Mahatma Gandhi, Aung Sung Su Chi and Corozone Aquino.