Thursday, April 1, 2004

Non-System System

One of my biggest challenges in losing weight and sticking with an exercise plan has been the constant changes in my daily schedule.  It's hard to adhere to a regimen that has no consistent framework.  So the concept of organization is one that I have to dispose of. 

I'm going to try to become aware of when and what I'm eating, limit myself to reasonable portions, and focus on protein and vegies instead of carbs.  That's all.  I would lose my mind if I had to weigh and measure food, plan meals, or even schedule meals.

And I'm going to try to walk and stretch every day.  Three miles is best for me, but if I can't always manage that, I'm not going to give up in frustration.

The next four days will be a challenge, since my daughter and I are off for a visit with her brother and a look at colleges for her.  Hyde Park is a beautiful place to walk, so I should be able to fit in some extra miles.  But I won't have a lot of control over when and where I'm eating, so I'll have to be careful about what.

Walked: 3 miles in gentle but chilly wind and rain Stretched: 20 minutes. Food:  I did all right, considering that I spent six hours driving on state turnpikes that offer minimal choice of cuisine, and had dinner in a college dining facility!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, myname is heather-i'm marian's sister (aka mom23nca if you are a computer buddy). i have also just started limiting my sugar and bread consumption to try to lose weight-like you i don't want anything too strict-mainly something i can live with. i have to lose a lot of weight-at this point i don't care if it's a slow weight loss. i will email you a link to an atkins support board-you don't have to use it but it helps mefeel like i'm not alone.greenheart21469

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather -- Thanks! May I add a link to your blog?