Friday, April 23, 2004

Second Favorites (Week-end Assignment #2)

This is a tough one -- could take me all day! 

(Oh.  It didn't.  I can't find my hair dryer, so I am going to work with wet hair -- but hey, that gives me more time to play!)

Movie:  There are only a few movies that I've seen more than once, and I suppose one of them is my favorite and one is my second favorite.  Today I'll vote for It's a Wonderful Life as my all time second-favorite.  I watched it this past Christmas after a hiatus of a few years, and it was fresh and full of subtleties I'd never noticed before.

Book:  Anything by Jodi Picoult.  I am just finishing the one about ghosts and eugenics and it's as good a read and as beautifully written and as thought-provoking as all of the others.  I do have one all-time favorite book that I've read probably 60 times... .

Album: Rubber Soul.

Teacher: Favorite teacher?  That one's easy.  But second-favorite?  Oh, I know: Mr. Smalley, my Religion and Society teacher senior year.  First, he taught a terrific course; we read Freud and Bonhoeffer and Frankl and all sorts of people I wouldn't know about otherwise.  More importantly, he wanted us to expand our thinking and our lives.  My most memorable conversation with him had nothing to do with religion as the opiate of the people or our ability to choose at least our reaction to our circumstances.  It involved, instead, his frustration that so many of his students limited their college applications to schools in the part of the country in which we already lived.  He wanted us to overcome our parochial attittudes and experience the world.

Ice Cream: Chocolate chip.

Sports Team:  I'm not sure that I could come up with the name of a single sports team.

Comfort Food: Mashed Potatoes.

Celebrity Crush:  Now that's a wierd one.

Cartoon Character:  You're losing me here.

Way to Relax:  OH, that's easy...oh, no, this is supposed to be SECOND favorite.  Do people have that many ways to relax?

Walk:  I have two favorites.  So I guess my second favorite is really my third?  I think it might be the path along the Yellowstone River from TowerFalls, even though I've only been there once.

 

Walked: 2.5 miles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So don't leave us hanging.. LOL!  What is your favorite book?  The one you've read at least 60 times?

Anonymous said...

I don't THINK so!  Only second favorites allowed here!