Saturday, February 19, 2005

Barns

I've always loved barns.  They show up on calendars, so I suppose other people do, too.  Because I grew up in the country, they were an integral part of my childhood.  When I'm driving across the state, I'm always promising myself that someday I'll take a leisurly trip along the backroads some year just to photograph the mostly abandoned and crumbling barns that litter the countryside.  So many of them evidence the extraordinary care and expense that went into their construction, even as they gradually sink into the gullies and creekbeds and melt into the fields.

My favorite barns are still the three near Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan.  They are so meticulously maintained, exquisite to see up close, and looking like houses of the three bears of Goldilocks fame from a distance

But the ones in the midwest remind me of childhood days spent playing hide-and-seek among the stalls and scrambling into haylofts.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maine also has old barns everywhere. People are always coming here to photograph them. I love them.
God Bless.
tiasNme

Anonymous said...

I clicked on the "up close" link and it took my breath away.  My goodness that barn is magnificant.  It looked like a barn that would be in Russia.  Gorgeous.   Thank you for sharing.
Tami

Anonymous said...

I grew up a few miles from the endless corn fields of Illinois.  Midwestern barns were a mainstay of the scenery.  Classic, hip-roofed barns with their tall, round-topped silos.  The place I live now is way more rural than anyplace else I've ever lived...but no pretty barns with silos standing sentinal.  I guess you have to grow grain to need a silo.  Mainly the barns around here are for horses/livestock.  Very utilitarian and boring.  :(  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo.  I love barns too.

Anonymous said...

I love barns, too. Especially the rich smells.  Many of the best moments of my life have been spent in barns.

Anonymous said...

See?  lots of people love barns!  and i'm going to have to add myself to the chorus of Barn-Lovers here.  i especially love old barns, of course, whether well maintained or falling into ruins.  here where i live on the DE coast, many of the old farm properties are being sold and divided up to create housing developments for the oldsters moving into retirement from D.C., Phila and B'more.  many barns standing idle, waiting to be torn down, all over the place.  i want to just get out there with an easel and paints and capture them before they go.  but i won't, because there is never time for such frivolity.  what kind of a life IS this, anyway?