Wednesday, February 2, 2005

Upstairs Stacks

Marigolds2 and I have got each other going on our book piles.  Herewith, a small selection from my upstairs:

Spectacular Happiness by Peter D. Kramer  

The Secret Book of Grazia dei Rossi by Jacqueline Park  

Blue Iris: Poems and Essays by Mary Oliver  

The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant  

If Grace is True: Why God Will Save Every Person by Philip Gulley and James Mulholland  

50 Hikes in North Carolina  

Spirit and Flesh: Life in a Fundamentalist Baptist Church by James M. Ault, Jr.  

The Digital Photographer's Handbook by Tom Ang  

Lords of the Horizon: A History of the Ottoman Empire by Jason Goodwin  

Praying with Meister Eckhart by Wayne Simsic  

Newsweek  

Ohio Magazine  

Weight Watchers  

People  

American Bungalow  

Yoga  

Time  

The Christian Century  

Balanced Living  

Christianity Today  

Christian History and Biography  

The Holy Bible (an extremely battered Oxford Annotated NRSV)  

The Sibley Guide to Birds  

 Catalogs from L.L. Bean, J. Jill, Monterey Bay and Orvis  

Michelangelo by Anthony Hughes  

And now that I've revealed what I read for fun, what I study for fun, what I look like, and what I wear, I am back to learning about production possibilities curves because, God help us all, I am teaching economics this semester.

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spectacular Happiness sounds good.  Let me know how that works out :-)  Pamela

Anonymous said...

<G>  There's an awful ot of unhappiness in that book.  

Anonymous said...

There IS a picture of you coming into focus in my imagination...  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

well, yes, there is a lot of unhappiness in Spectacular Happiness, but in the end he has everything that matters to him - and isn't that the very definition of spectacular happiness?  it was really all about parenting, his relationship with his son, and he gets that back in the end.
so, i love your list and it reminded me that i forgot to do the sunporch list.  i have to go right now and correct that egregious error!  come back to my piles entry and check it out in a while.

Anonymous said...

From this list we share:  Spectacular Happiness,  Mary Oliver - every one of her books:  poetry and prose,  Sibley Gd to Birds, and oh no, I never even considered catalogs.  certainly LL Bean, then i also have Gardener's Supply, Land's End,  Seeds of  Change,  Teva, Williams-Sonoma,  Staples, Dover Publications (lots of these), Harmony (Gaiam), oh well, i give up.  catalogs.  
I'm going back to your other list and see what we share there.

Anonymous said...

Spirit and Flesh is currently on my list of books I want to read.  Was it good?  Would you recommend it?

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was an econ major, so I wish I could say I could help you, but I remember nothing.  Nada. Nothing.

My current stack of books by the bed are the 4 Rabbit novels by John Updike, which I got for my birthday. I'm part way through the second one.

Anonymous said...

You are always learning and doing something fun!  I love visiting your journal because of that!
Aside -- NOT that I am suggesting that you add to your collection of books, but "The Rosewood Casket" by Sharyn McCrumb.  Incredible voice in that book.

Anonymous said...

oh, I enjoyed this entry! judi