Monday, February 7, 2005

This Century and That

I'm trying to remember what I did on Saturday.  Hey!  -- I keep a journal; shouldn't I know?  I have no idea. . . .  .  

Yesterday was a pretty productive day.  I co-taught an adult class at church with one of our pastors and Paul and women; I got to provide the cultural context for his sometimes confusing, sometimes contradictory, sometimes radical and sometimes outrageous statements.   

Then I pretty much finished up a paper I'm writing on Michelangelo's Pieta:

 

and an earlier German Pieta:     

And then I took a long walk in the cemetery -- I wasn't planning to go down the hill (which requires coming back up), but there is a gravesite at the bottom with a replica of Michelangelo's sculpture and, in the end, I couldn't resist trekking down there.  I was fine with that, despite the tortuous walk back up, because I actually got a couple of more ideas for my paper.  

I was horrified to discover this morning that I had completely missed what sounds like a terrific Paul McCartney halftime show last night.  Truthfully, I am just SO OUT OF IT.  I wouldn't even have known the Superbowl was yesterday if my daughter hadn't been going off to watch it with friends, and I had no idea until after it had started what teams were playing.  I can't believe that my husband didn't even call me downstairs to watch Paul McCartney perform!  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry too much about missing Paul... it wasn't anything spectacular.  It was just nice not to have to worry about any malfunctions, and the crowd seemed really happy.  I'll highlight for you... He played Baby You can Drive My Car, Get Back, Live and Let Die and Hey Jude.  I think that's it....  then there were fireworks.  Pamela

Anonymous said...

I think being out of it is a pretty common condition lately.  I'm off in the fog myself.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I, too, feel like I'm off in an alternate reality and have no idea what is going on in the world.  But I DID know about the Super Bowl yesterday...I just didn't care.  Watched a dvd upstairs while husband watched the game downstairs.  He didn't really care about either of the teams either...he says he just watches it to see the commercials...!?!  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

You're not alone. I did not know that it was Superbowl Sunday until I started reading it off someone's journal entry. I picked the loser, Eagles basically I thought they are endangered species. LOL. I just want to watch the new commercials so I accessed them online instead of watching the whole program.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's so bad that you missed the fact of the superbowl being on.  I find as I get older I'm less and less interested in what the world thinks is important.  My husband did watch it, but without much enthusiasm.  As for the halftime performace, I wouldn't worry--you didn't miss much.  He sang a few of the old tunes and they felt curiously out of step with today's world.  It was a little depressing (to me).  Or maybe I was just in one of "those" moods.  Anyway--don't sweat it.  I'm sure you're doing other, more important things in you life.  And that's a good thing.  http://journals.aol.com/theresarrt7/TheresaWilliams-author/

Anonymous said...

I was on the computer with the headphones on listening to God Knows what when I turned and say HIM!!!  It was too late, the very end of the show. Dang it.

Anonymous said...

The Two-Headed Calf
by Laura Gilpin

What an excellent poem--thanks so much for sharing it with me in my journal.

Anonymous said...

I really didn't care to watch the Super Bowl either.  When I idly turned on the TV I caught the last 90 seconds or so of McCartney's performance, but I really didn't mind missing it.  I saw one multi-milluon dollar ad, thought of how wasteful that was, and turned the TV off again.  I AM getting jaded!

Vicky

My Incentive http://www.livejournal.com/~vxv789/14498.html