Thursday, February 17, 2005

Midwinter

I'm going down to visit my father and stepmother for a few days, starting Sunday.  I took this photograph of the barn behind their house the last time I was down there, in the gentle hills of southwestern Ohio, and I thought I'd play around with it a bit tonight.  I have some other versions to add later. 

I haven't been writing or taking pictures for several days, but I've been thinking a lot about both.  I've got some fiction started that I'm going to spend some of my limited time on, which is going to mean more sporadic journaling.  And I'm increasingly dissatisifed with my photographs and longing for a more sophisticated camera.  That little set of car repairs last week put a damper on my Big Spender ideas, so I guess I'll fool around and learn to manipulate what I have while I wait to see if there is any recovery in sight.  April 15 has been a Very Bad Day around here for the last several years so, until it's come and gone, I don't want to start counting chickens that might turn out to belong to Uncle Sam.

I have all of next week off work, and a list of plans that would take a year to accomplish.  It's amazing what optimism an empty calendar can incite.  At minimum: the taxes.  Then we can make our plans to move into a barn just like the one above.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have all my tax stuff rounded up...all I have to do is take it to the accountant (with the business, I don't do my own taxes any more...)  I'm kind of afraid to go.  Last year, we got a huge refund.  This year, I don't think we're going to be quite as lucky.  I just hope we don't end up having to pay.  Being a childless working couple, having to pay has been the story of our lives.  These last few years since we started the business have been kind of cool.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Nice Picture. Have fun at your folks. It's great you are wanting to write. No pressure...just write and get it out...for yourself. Hey wait. I think I'm telling advice to myself.LOL. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Well, I for one enjoy your photos, new camera or not!  Good luck with the taxes!  

Anonymous said...

You take incredible pictures.  I have heard very good things about Picasa.com, whihc is a Google download avialable for digital pictures.  In all your free time I bet you would do very well in a phtotgraphy class.  Lisa

Anonymous said...

I am longing for a SLR digital camera.  Wish I had an extra $800 laying around.