Wednesday, February 9, 2005

Comment Junkie

Little frustrations:  

Last night I attempted to leave a comment on vxv789's LiveJournal.  She's got a terrific thing going there and I wanted to tell her -- you, if you're reading! -- that the stone art photo is by Andy Goldsworthy.  He makes wonderful creations out of patterns he puts together from nature and photographs them -- and then, I think, lets them go. 

Anyway, LiveJournal allows you to comment if you're not a member and can prove you're also not spam.  There's a little box where you type in some letters from the LJ screen to prove that you are a human who can read -- but no letters showed up last night.  Just an irritating little red "x."  Alternatively, you can listen to a recording of numbers and then type those in instead -- but the recording was so distorted that my attempt to type in the numbers got me labeled as nonhuman.  I am waiting in some trepidation to see if my account is suddenly closed down for sending spam, as it was last week when someone apparently hacked into my name and password.  Needless to say, I won't be attempting to leave comments in LJ again.

Another place I haven't been able to comment is Wrenassiance's wonderful nature site.  If folks from other journal sites would leave real email addresses, at least I could email them.  I want you all to know that I do visit everyone who comments here and I often enjoy what I see, but sometimes I have no way of conveying that.  (I managed to leave Wrenaissance a comment in someone else's journal!)

Some of my friends have emailed comments to me that they haven't been able to leave because they aren't members of aol.  I don't know why all these servers can't get together and figure out a joint and FUNCTIONING program so that we could all converse across company lines. 

And as long as I'm complaining --why can't we just cut and past photos into our journals???????????????  I am SO sick of the "My FTP" routine.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch -- something like 25 people checked in here last night after I went to bed.  Same for my other journal.  Come on, guys, give a girl a break.  At least say "Hi"!!!!

I do wonder sometimes about my audience.  (That's because I wonder about myself.) (Not really.  Thank God I don't have much time for that.) I notice that people who get zillions of comments seem to have journals with a running theme -- and often a certain persona or attitude.  Maybe readers like knowing what to expect?  I'm as all over the place as I am in real life (although I do try to leave out the personal sarcasm  in this particular locale).  I would like to think that that makes me delightfully unpredictable, but perhaps I'm just indistinctly unintelligible.

Anyway.......helllllllooooo out there!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, that will be nice. I have a few non-AOL journals I visit and it ticks me off that most of them will not allow you to leave a comment if you are a non-member. One standard journal program to interface all journals will be great.  
It is nice to get feedbacks from readers of your journal but most people will not leave comments. Why? I don't know.
My journal is schizophrenic in nature. I write about what concerns me or excites me at the time. I find that some topics net a lot of readers but no comments. Like when I wrote about what may be a "taboo" and I thought I lost most of my J Land friends because a lot of them seemed to have boycotted my entry. I say write whatever you want to in your journal. That is what it is all about.
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

ok.  De-lurking to say hi.   And forget the FTP struggle.  Use Photobucket.com.  It's easy, and free and has LOTS of storage space for pictures.   Might want to give it a try.  ~Sie  

Anonymous said...

I understand your frustration!  I had a blog out there and am getting something like 75 spams a day!  How to resolve it without shutting it down so no one can read? I'm here.  I just haven't felt well enough to comment anywhere.  I do enjoy your journals.  Penny  

Anonymous said...

I'm a comment junkie too, and I think that my journal is all over the place, reflecting the different facets of my personality (with nods to Vicky).   I agree that the themed journals do seem to draw a greater number of comments.

Anonymous said...

Like the Whos in Whoville:   "I am here, I am here".    I read lots of journals but don't always comment.    Often, it seems as if it has already been said.   Othertimes, I feel that if I have so much to say, I should just start my own journal.

Anonymous said...

I used to judge my readership stricly by the comments that were left.  Then I started paying more attention to my hit counter.  Last week, I got over a hundred hits on an entry that only generated about ten comments.  Actually, that kind of pumped me up.  At least I know people are reading.  It does frustrate me, though, when I write something meant to spark dialogue, and nobody comments.  

As far as the journals that get a lot of comments, I think there are two secrets to that:  You need to have a list of a million journals that YOU read regularly and always leave comments (it's sort of a reciprocal thing), and you need to stick to "human interest" entries.  I'm online a couple hours a day as it is.  I don't have time to read a hundreds journals.  And I don't always have an intelligent observation to make, so even if I DO read, I don't always comment.  This has not done much to expand my audience, I'm afraid.  

I like your journal.  I wouldn't change a thing.  Lisa  :-]    

Anonymous said...

I can only second what "kathjensen" has said.  I read lots but comment little.  Like her, I seem to have too little to say that hasn't already been said, or too much to say to fit it into a "comment" space.  But please keep writing, and we'll keep reading.  

Anonymous said...

I think people who get lots of comments probably leave lots of comments in others' journals. I don't know how everyone has the time to read so many journals! In the end, I think you have to write for yourself. As for FTP, I discovered that since I have my own Web page that I have my own FTP and I don't need AOL's! It's so much easier!

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful journal that I look forward to every new posting.  I usually comment but sometimes I don't.  The hit counter and the comments are an anomaly.  I get about one comment in every 10 hits.  Strange.  Lot of lurkers out here, or maybe a lot of readers from non-AOL land!!

Anonymous said...

::blink blink::

I'm a lurker too, I admit...sometimes I just don't have anything to add.  I dunno.  Anyway I'm with your other reader, judge it by the hit counter.  There's a lot out there that are mass reading (like me) and just read and giggle or say "amen" to themselves and move on.

ps if any non-AOLer wants to comment they can do it using their AIM screenname, or via e-mail and you can cut and paste - I know that's a drag, but hey - its AOL.

=) kris
http://journals.aol.com/kristeenaelise/thedailypurge

Anonymous said...

Just saying hi and letting you know I stop by all the time to read your journal.

Anonymous said...

Don't change!  The whole box of chocolates and life sorta thing.  Write what you want to write!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the LiveJournal thing!  But thanks for the nice things you say - I'm honored.  I'm familiar with Andy Goldsworthy (a countryman of mine, I believe) but didn't know that photo was his.

Re the frustrations with LiveJournal - I am not an aol member (would have to pay extra for that) so was obliged to look elsewhere when I entered the world of journaling a couple of months ago.  Started at L-J out of sheer ignorance (it is html-based which makes adding pictures quite easy, though!) and if you join for free they don't do that annoying prompt.  I had to enter MY info to add comments on YOUR aol journal!!  ;)

Take care - and thanks for your always entertaining and intriguing journal,

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/~vxv789/

Anonymous said...

I'm here but seem to have been lost for a little while.  Hoping I can turn my alerts on again somehow.

Anonymous said...

Hello Back atcha! I'm all over the place too. I got tired of wondering about the unknown lurkers. I figured I was wasting brain energy that could be used for something better, so I deleted my hit counter. :-) ---Robbie

Anonymous said...

HI!!  I sooo know what you mean. I've had journals where I've inserted a hit counter that also lists referring sites, IP addresses, etc.; the site would get hits from all over the world. The average visit would be about 6-9 minutes, but it got very few comments. No fun.   :(

I read your journal often and enjoy it... but rarely have much to contribute other than, "I agree".    ;-)  

Take care!