Thursday, November 3, 2005

Backpacking with Bugs

In our decade Before Children, my husband and I did some backpacking -- in nearby forests, on Isle Royale in Lake Superior, in Glacier National Park.  We always thought that we would share those experiences with our children, but they went the organized sports route from elementary school on.  Years and years and years of week-ends sucked away by soccer games and tournaments.  I loved watching them play and grow, but I was always aware that we were giving up on some special times with them. 

We did go backpacking as a family once, in western Pennsylvania when the kids were all in middle school.  It was a perfect fall week-end, with the gently rolling hills all mellow yellow in color and a layer of leaves crunching under our boots.  And when we made our way back to the parking lot after two days of hiking, the place was dizzy with ladybugs.  Ladybugs on the trees, in the air, parked all over the cars. 

The same event took place a couple of weeks ago along the Lake Erie shoreline.  Thousands of ladybugs made their stand on the beach, nestling against one another in patterns of color on driftwood and rocks as they huddled against the wind.  They reminded me of a really good week-end when children still lived here.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing photo.

Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/lici/AWritersAngst

Anonymous said...

I always think of lady bugs as spring time bugs, interesting there were so many out this time of year.

Anonymous said...

It does go by fast.   I need to savor these moments and stop rushing through life so much.

Kathryn

Anonymous said...

Funny how you get little "ah-ha" moments about people reading their entries.  The thing that struck me about this one is how much you are missing your kids.  "...when children still lived here."  (((Robin)))  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

there are lots of things we thought we'd do with our children also, some of their best memories are the trips we planned the least.  Who knows what they'll really remember of their childhood when they grow up?  hopefully things like these ladybugs.  

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo.  How nice that it was able to evoke such warm memories for you.  It sounds as though you're missing those kidlets.  The post reminds me to enjoy my measured days with my own children.  (As if the 4-year plan meeting with the h.s. counselor didn't already do that for me.)

Anonymous said...

oh, the picture is lovely!!!! In Florida once the covered a whole wall on my patio.... I LOVE them. What a wonderful reminder of your happy memory. You made me smile today, thank you:) judi

Anonymous said...

The reminiscence and the image are wonderful. I'm glad you had the camera.
Tess

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful entry, both comment and photo.  

Judi

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are lovely, especially the Lady Birds.....Yhanks for sharing them....Ally

Anonymous said...

What a photograph that is!  I've heard that clusters of ladybugs like that are supposed to be a sign of good luck.
Judith

Anonymous said...

OMG... one ladybug is cute!  But a pack (gaggle?) of them...  well they're still cute...lol  ~Sie