Saturday, November 19, 2005

Some of you know I've been posting my entries in the Comments Section of Magic Smoke while my own journal has been AWOL.  Here's what I left over there today:

FINAL ENTRY: SWAN SONG

Well, it was nice, Joe.  I enjoyed posting in your journal.  But mine has been returned to me as of last night.  The archives are still a mess and BOA still seems to think it has some kind of right to perch up there at the top, but at least I can post.  And maybe I will.  Or maybe not.  Or maybe I'll post to both blogs for awhile.

I expect there's a lot of ambivalence around town, but maybe not.  I seldom have my finger on the pulse of things.  My journal doesn't get much notice and I think I know why -- I'm usually completely out of it with respect to contemporary culture.  But some of the best writers around -- people who really care about words and expression -- visit me regularly, and I get to see what they are up to.  And it was a delight to be a Guest Ed Pick last week -- just before the s--t hit the fan and consigned me to oblivion again.  

I looked around at some other journal sites last night and sure enough, there are ads all over the place -- which only served to remind me again of how easily I see past much of the junk that pollutes our space in general.  And I'm not so naive as to think that blogspot and typepad and livejournal might not someday do the same thing.  Perhaps they are plotting even as I speak.

But here's where there can be no ambivalence as I see it:  AOL, by providing no advance notice and no means or levels of choice, showed contempt for its customers, a contempt magnified by the lack of reponse from the "higher-ups." And the tech problems demonstrated an astonishing level of incompetence.

Contempt for the customer and technological incomptence are not foundations upon which to maintain a successful business.  I had learned that from my very successful self-employed grandfather by the time I was five.  I would submit that aol has some major repair work to do.

Good luck, Joe.  

AND:

Sheesh.  The last sentences of that last entry thanked you and John for keeping your cool and noted that it seems that you at least tried.  But for whatever reason, they didn't appear.  I rest my case.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the memories of those of us who once knew a different business culture, contempt for customer and technical incompetence USED to be a recipe for failure in the marketplace.  Now, these things are simply business as usual for most Amereican companies.  It doesn't bode well for a society that is supposed to be moving into a "service-based" economy.  We have no idea what service is...how can we base our entire economy on providing it?

I wish we could find a way to at least start up a dialogue with AOL (not with John or Joe but with someone who has some clout...) about this whole debacle.  Everyone has been so busy running away...is there news of anyone, anyone at all, that has talked to anyone more official than the blog-master or Mr. Editor?  We have every right to expect our complaints to go higher...and I think right now, they're being effectively stopped at a very low level...  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

I love your journal, but am so far behind with my alerts. I really like what you've been posting over at Joe's. Interestingly I found that blogspot gives their writers the choice of advertsing banners. If you choose to allow them - you get PAID for each click on your journal. And if you don't want them there, they don't have to be. Trouble is, it seems like you need to understand at least a little code for some of their features, which is frustrating for me who has no clue. Hope you keep writing - somewhere. Let me know where you go, ok? ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

Maybe feeling out of sync with contemporary culture isn't such a bad thing. When I look at a lot of what passes for "culture" lately I can't wait to hit the exit button.

Couldn't agree more on the tech side of the AOL fiasco. Has the feel of we're launching on such and such a date whether we're ready or not. Thank heaven I still have the Mac while I try to figure out how to get around the run time error message on my journal.

Jackie
http://journals.aol.com/thesheatons/PixelsPoliticsPosiesandPussycats

Anonymous said...

I love your disclaimer!
You can block the animated ads on your screen. Look at the bottom of the screen- Blocking Pop-ups button. Be sure to hit the refresh button to kick it in after you block. The ad should go poof, away on your screen. You may have to hit Allow Animated Media from AOL before you can block. See link below for the visual!
Tess
This Idea is Going Around...

Anonymous said...

Woops link did not work- 2nd try
http://journals.aol.com/rap4143/MyDayMyInterests/entries/1098

Anonymous said...

Hey, you're not completely out of it, Babe. And you have me to mentor you.

Anonymous said...

I've missed you much!   The ads are everywhere.   I just ignore these like the ones in magazines, newspapers, and along the highway.    My problem is that the journals now take forever to load perhaps AOL is trying to sell me their broadband service.