Saturday, November 12, 2005

Ominous Walk

I had my first uncomfortable -- probably dangerous -- experience in the cemetery yesterday.  I've walked there for years, and now this.  I am a little shaken and a lot pissed.  I treasure my time alone, and now one of my favorite places has been marred.  

****************  

I am about half way through my walk and have stopped to look out over a huge ravine when a large white van passes me and then, to my dismay, begins to back slowly in my direction. The back of that van looks really big and has no windows, and the guy driving it looks a lot stronger than I am.  I am hoping that he is accompanied by a woman -- the cemetery roads are winding and confusing and people often ask for directions.  No such luck.  

 "Have you seen a little deer?" he asks out his window.  

What kind of a dumbass question is that?  I wonder.  In a 400-acre cemetery there are probably 400 deer.  

"No, I haven't, " I respond.   

"There's a little deer in here -- so friendly and tame -- been here about a month," he persists.  

"Nope," I say.  All the deer around here are nonplussed by humans.  My husband passed within three feet of one when he was out running the other night. Is this the adult version of the "Want to see my kittens?" trap?  

Warning signals are passing through the back of my brain.  Its reptilian portion is emerging from what had been a rather dull nap during a pleasant walk through crunchy yellow and brown leaves, reminding me that would-one attackers are supposedly repelled by confidence.  

"Haven't seen any deer today."  I look directly at him and feel a sense of panic as I realize for certain that there is probably no one else within a mile of us.   

He looks at my dog.  Small and cheerful, but you never know.  I'm hoping he's looking at my cowboy boots, very hard and very pointed.  Maybe he's thinking, now that he's actually pulled beside me, that I am older and more resourceful than he might have imagined from a distance. More alert, too.  And not the least bit afraid to use those boots.  

Later I realize that at this moment I am actually really scared, but I am not letting myself know that. "No deer," I say firmly, and begin to move away. He puts his car in gear and I walk with determined steps in the other direction.   

The second half of my walk takes a lot less time than the first.  I don't see another soul until I am within half a mile of the cemetery gate where a young woman is finishing her run and opening her car trunk.  I stand some distance from her so that I don't startle her and wait for her to remove her iPod to tell her that someone has just approached me in way that has left me extremely uncomfortable.  I hope that if she comes back here to run she leaves the iPod at home -- it was probably two full minutes before she had any idea that I was behind her.  

I have a lot of time to think on the way back.  I feel like an idiot for not glancing at the man's license plate, but I conclude that you can manage only so much at one time.  Staying safe is going to have to be good enough.  I try to decide if I am overreacting, but then I realize that not one of my male friends would stop his car to attempt a conversation with a woman walking alone in a deserted location.  I am not overreacting; this guy has gone way beyond the normal boundaries between strangers of opposite genders.  

So.  No more late afternoon walks in the cemetery.  What a BITCH.

    

On a happier note (and with a thank-you photo that I hope works; I had a lot of trouble with it the other day): I couldn't be more flattered than to have been nominated as a Weekly Pic by Guest Editor Jim, one of J-Land's finest writers and gentlemen.  Thanks to him and to those of you who have emailed your congratulations and left comments.  And if you haven't been by his journal before, take a peek, and be sure to check out its name.  There's a remote chance that I will make it to Skellig Michael this summer, in part thanks to what I've learned from Jim.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading this made me so sad.  I'm like you, I need and love my quiet alone time.  To have those special moments damaged by a lurking presence is tantamount to losing a part of your freedom.  I so wish this hadn't happened to you.  Pennie

Anonymous said...

Yow.  I hate it that this happened in your place of peace and contemplation.  But I am very glad you firmly held your ground and were able to leave the cemetary with all your bits and pieces still collected as one whole woman.  What a shitty world, what a lousy shame we have to live and think like this.  
And, on the other hand, what an incredible picture.  What a lovely amazing world.  
Re your comment to me a few minutes ago - I'm planning to write an entry about "my life" in the private journal soon.  Indeed I am.  Come read when I do.  

Anonymous said...

Beautiful leaves!
Glad your stayed alert and hope that the other woman listened. Make sure you have your camera with you. Take a picture of the lurker and license plate and let him see you do it!
Tess

Anonymous said...

What a scary experience in the cemetery.  Maybe you could enlist a friend or two to go walking with you.  I'm glad you stayed on high alert and kept yourself safe.

Anonymous said...

A tall stout walking stick might be a good investment. And a referees whistle. I would also report the incident to the local police.

How sad that what was a comfortable place has been taken from you. Even if you never see the guy again, you'll be wondering. Take care.

Jackie
http://journals.aol.com/thesheatons/PixelsPoliticsPosiesandPussycats

Anonymous said...

So sorry you had this nasty experience, Robin.  How scary.  Sounds like your radar was working, though, which is a good thing.  Only you can decide whether or not you feel comfortable resuming your solitary walks, but I hope you can find that peace somehow or other.  Where I walk, up in the hills, there are enough other people that I encounter from time to time that I don't feel scared of weirdos.  I don't know what I would do if I had to give up those hikes.

Meanwhile, CONGRATULATIONS!!  - Well deserved!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

What an icky experience.  I just got one of those emails forwarded to me--the ones that women circulate around about what to watch out for.  One of the things they entioned was BIG VANS.  You did the right thing..and have made the right decision about the late afternoon walks.

Hey, congrats on the weekly pick!  This will give a lot of people an opportunity to see what a fine writer you are.  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

Now your private place is gone.  I wish I had been with you...I would have told him to put a deer in his lying ear and my boot up his rear......You must be very careful.  Would your dog bite him if got out of his car?  Dont walk alone anymore ..Its not like it use to be....I could go anywhere alone and never be bothered...times are changing and it makes me sad and mad.....Love your journal

                                                             take care
                                                               
                                                                    MoodyMyke

Anonymous said...

Lord child, carry some mace on your key chain. I shoot a lot and don't go anywhere without it.

Gabreael

http://journals.aol.com/gabreaelinfo/GabreaelsBodyMindSpiritJournal/

Anonymous said...

First Congrats for being an editor's pick!

Second, whoa nelly! Glad your instincts were working. You shouldn't walk alone through unpopulated areas. I'd hate for something to happen to you! I'd bring along a partner to walk with.

I'm glad you're okay. That is scary.

Ari

Anonymous said...

    Congrats on being this week's editor's pick. I'm glad you're safe. Too many women put aside those bells clanging in the back of their conscousness when something dangerous is about to happen. Women don't want to hurt feelings, and that's what trash like that guy banks on. It's a good thing you told that other girl about him, too. You never know.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/Jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

That's too bad.  I had a scary experience along my regular walking route, too, and it sure put a damper on what used to be a really nice routine.
   By the way, congrats on being picked.  Enjoy your week, okay !!  Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being an editor's pick!  It's a well-deserved honor for you.  And re the creep in the cemetery...first, I'm glad that you're safe.  Second, I'd call the police and report it, even though you didn't get his license number and it happened a couple of days ago.  They can patrol through there, and also, perhaps someone else in the area has reported the guy (or not).  At any rate, I think it would be good to report it, even after the fact, and again, thank goodness you're OK and it's a good thing you approached the young woman jogger, too.

Judi

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being an editor's pick!  It's a well-deserved honor for you.  And re the creep in the cemetery...first, I'm glad that you're safe.  Second, I'd call the police and report it, even though you didn't get his license number and it happened a couple of days ago.  They can patrol through there, and also, perhaps someone else in the area has reported the guy (or not).  At any rate, I think it would be good to report it, even after the fact, and again, thank goodness you're OK and it's a good thing you approached the young woman jogger, too.

Judi

Anonymous said...

I'm with Judi, tell the police.  I'm sure they will want to know about it.  Hopefully in time you can go back to the solitude of your walks there.

Great picture!  Exactly what I expect whenever I come here.  We didn't have much of a fall in the Midwest this year, but I feel like I did because of the photos I saw in your journal.

Jim

Anonymous said...

And how could I forget this?  You might make it to the Skelligs?  You'll actually have me beat.  Every time I have tried to get out there the weather has not cooperated.  It's still worth the view of them rising out of the Atlantic, though, even if I couldn't make it off shore.

Jim

Anonymous said...

There will always be..Those People who can ruin our time and push themselves into our space.
I'm glad that you were cautious.

I have enjoyed reading your journal!

I will be back!

Mary Louise

http://journals.aol.com/mlrhjeh/WatchingMySisterDisappear

http://journals.aol.com/mlrhjeh/MARYLOUISESPHOTOSHOOT/

Anonymous said...

no, I think your instincts were dead-on... and this has turned out to be a practice run for your body and senses. Trust them all.
Your photographs are alway marvelous!!!
judi

Anonymous said...

As Judi says... trust your instincts.
Peace,  Virginia

Anonymous said...

White panel trucks are bad news. The suspect in the Molly Bish case has one. The weird boy scout troop leader at my school has one. Tell the police...they could be looking for this guy.

So Jim picked you (don't forget who sent you there), and you may visit the Skelligs? Wear boots...those fookin' gannets, don'tcha know.

Anonymous said...

First, congratulations for being picked by Guest Editor Jim.  Once I leave your pages, I shall go directly to his and look into his offerings.  Congratulations...
Secondly, this entry gave me the chills.  I'm talking real shivers down the spine chills.  I've sat on it since you posted it on Saturday afternoon.  You see, I was kidnapped as a child much the same way this man approached you.  Yes, it was the "Want to see my kittens" trap.  A 3 year old will fall for it most of the time.  Fortunately, I survived the ordeal, many do not.
Thank you for spreading awareness,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being nominated by Jim! I'm adding you to my favorite sites! Don't know how I've overlooked you so far. I love a gal who's not afraid to say "pissed" in her journal. I usually opt for 'ticked off' when I really just want to let people know how
f#$%^%^&*king pissed I am!
Maryanne

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately we must always be vigilant and watchful of our surroundings. Your instincts were correct, and I'm sorry that your peaceful walks had to come to an end. Congratulations on being an editors pick, I enjoyed your journal very much!

Anonymous said...

 The photo of the autumn leaves is beautiful, with a artful composition and a subtle play of color.  Captures the feel of the season.  Good work.

Anonymous said...

I'm angry for you too.    I had a similar encounter in college in a beautiful cemetary where I often studied and walked.   I know how much you love that space and hope that you can find a way to be comfortable there soon.

The picture was beautiful and congrats on being selected.    I am late as usual with this.

Anonymous said...

How scary. My heart was beating faster as I read this. When I was much younger, I loved going to the beach early in the morning. One time, I was lying on my towel with my eyes closed when a shadow fell over me. I opened my eyes to a big biker guy who was towering over me, determined to engage me in conversation. I never felt so vulnerable and scared as I realized no one else was on the beach. That ended my early-morning beach visits.

Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/lici/AWritersAngst

Anonymous said...

Interesting isn't it? Here's a source for more info:

http://RightDownTown.com/infosource.html