Sunday, November 6, 2005

Religious Democrats? Imagine That!

The other day on NPR, Robert Siegel did a story on the Virginia gubernatorial race, much of which focused on the differing religious and political outlooks of Democratic candidate Tim Kaine and Republican candidate Jerry Kilgore.  You can listen to the story here and correct for yourself any unintentional errors that I make in this entry.  

The All Things Considered website says that the campaign has "one particularly unusual twist."  And indeed, Bob Siegel seems genuinely baffled by Mr. Kaine's forthright references to his Roman Catholic faith and his willingness to discuss its influence on his life and work, and Mr. Kilgore's comparative reticence about his Baptist faith.  Mr. Kaine's life of public service began when he took a year off during law school to work as a missionary in Honduras, an experience which altered his perspective and set him on his life's path.  

I am puzzled by Bob Siegel's treatment of Mr. Kaine as somehow unusual in his openness about the role that his religious experiences have played in his life, and unusual particularly because he is a Democrat.   

Or maybe I'm not.  Maybe I'm just sick and tired of the media's pandering to the religious right and open-mouthed astonishment whenever it finds people of deep faith and religious conviction whose political and social values tend to run counter to what the media persists in describing as religious.   

You know what? -- we aren't so hard to find.  But we aren't particularly loud-mouthed, we don't go around making outrageous statements for the sake of shock value, and we have this terrible habit of being tolerant of the views of others.  And we aren't afraid of our doubts, our questions, or our uncertainty.  

Nearly everywhere that I worked as a lawyer before I switched careers, I found myself in the midst of people who made decisions every single day on the basis of thoughtful and carefully articulated religious belief.  EVERY SINGLE DAY.  Jews, Protestants, Catholics.  Some were pro-life, some were pro-choice.  Some were pro-death penalty, some were ag'in it.  Some for prayer in schools, some not.  Some Republican, some Democrat. Some passionate environmentalists, some who probably own three SUVs today.  People differ.  But it is not unusual, in the United States of America, to find people who make daily decisions, ranging from how to treat a difficult colleague to how to resolve complex ethical dilemmas of advocacy, on the basis of religious beliefs which they readily discuss and evaluate.

It's also not all that unusual, although perhaps more so  than I would like to think, to find Christians who believe that their faith tells them the following: Care for the impoverished and disenfranchised.  God made us all as we are, so: Include everyone.  Don't go to war.   God forgives everything.  Be attentive.  Cherish and protect the created universe.  Try not to kill people.  If you can't help it, regret it and try harder not to.  Extend yourself to all of the people of God. That means everyone.  GIVE AWAY EVERYTHING THAT YOU HAVE.   

Me?  I do all those things to perfection.   Okay, so maybe I make a teeny little mistake every now and then.  Especially on the humility part of Micah 6:8.  And I do have a little bit too much in the way of stuff.  

But I am here to tell you that there is nothing unusual about Tim Kaine and his attempt to live according to the dictates of his religion.  The religious right does not have a lock on that. 

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen!  some food for thought

Anonymous said...

Brava!   In the words of the Whos befriended by Horton:   "We are here.   We are here.    We are here.   We are here."

Kathryn - another thoughtful, religious, liberal Democrat

Anonymous said...

I personally believe that any person following a truly righteous religious path tend to lean much more toward the Democratic platform than the Republican.  Jesus himself, going by New Testament descriptions of his ministry, would hardly be thought of as a member of the religious right.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Omg, okay two things.

1. For some reason, I was denied access when I hit the link on one of the alerts, then I didn't get your alerts for awhile. Strange. So it's cool that you are still here.

2. I saw Gubernatorial Debate on the tv guide channel, but thought it said "Gubernational Debate". I asked my Chris what kind of debate that would be with a bunch of goobers, then he corrected me. Then he laughed at me. Meh.

Ari

Anonymous said...

I sincerely hope that misconceptions (intentionally created for political purposes IMO) need to change.  I hope that is beginning to happen.  I honestly think people are beginning to tire of all the rhetoric coming from the religious right.   Stacy

Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry!  You've got me thinking, but I can't put it into words yet.  You  might see something more on this in my blog later.

Anonymous said...

Freedom from religious persecution was a prominent reason this country was settled. Freedom of speech was another. When the two freedoms are combined, sometimes people forget what each freedom separately means. Many advocates on the right seem to have forgotten that there is a distinction between church and state. The left forgets that this country has in its foundation basic Christian ethics. Spiritual leaders, polititians and the professional media would do well to remember that individuals' rights are what is the corner stone of our country.
Tess

Anonymous said...

No the right just appears to have a lock on the outrageous statement department that gets them featured on Fox News. Many of us are mindful of the admonishment to pray in private rather than making a spetacle on the street corners.

There was a very short letter in the Oregonian yeseterday to the effect that the problem in the US wasn't the separation of church and state. It was the apparent sepration of God from some of those who claim to be spokesmen.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this thoughtful entry.  It reminds me of Sen. John Danforth's NYT Editorial last spring that was in much the same light.  The only difference is that he's a moderate thinking Republican.  It is indeed possible to be religious and a Democrat.  In fact, from my perspective, it's impossible not to be if one truly follows a Judeo-Christian ethic of helping those less fortunate, making the world a better place, healing the sick, freeing the captive, taking in the stranger among us...

Anonymous said...

Wow!  Thanks for the trackback to your posting.  Maybe I in turn should simply delete mine and put in a pointer to yours :-)

Warm regards,
--sneakz
http://journals.aol.com/redsneakz/Separationanxiety

Anonymous said...

    Amen! Now that comes from a Roman Catholic with Democratic leanings.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

very good post. judi

Anonymous said...

I think you are absolutely right that it is the religious (non-left) that is very vocal.  Tolerant folks don't tend to "push" their tolerance, because they are too busy working at living peacefully in a pluralistic society.  Its the intolerant ones that are busy pounding others on the head, and then, yes, they get the attention.   At least NPR decided to look at the religious point of view slightly differently than the average media.
Peace,  Virginia

Anonymous said...

Work out your salvation with fear and trembleing before the lord. Each persons walk is unique and to its own.

:)

Gabreael

http://journals.aol.com/gabreaelinfo/GabreaelsBodyMindSpiritJournal/

Anonymous said...

As a moderate Republican, sometimes I get very weary of being depicted as a religious fanatic by people simply because of my party affiliation. I am probably THE most tolerant person in regard to people's religious beliefs, and I strongly feel God embraces people of all faiths...and even NO faith. Fanaticism of most any kind is, in my opinion, twisted. Thus, I am very proudly a moderate.

Anonymous said...

very nice entry. Makes one think, I like that.
Smiles,
Red

Anonymous said...

Yes! The voice of reason does exist. Thank you for saying something that needs to be said more often in the United States.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

wow...i'm so glad you left me a link!  cut from the same cloth, i think!  i appreciate your articulation of your thoughts.  keep rocking!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I missed that interview. And yes it pisses me off to high heaven when certain people tell me how damned religious they are and then I come to find out that this same gung-ho war/Bush lovie has disinherited his own daughter because she's a lesbian. Oh thanks a lot my friend, you've got me back on my friggin band wagon again. This time I have a  megaphone!
MAryanne