Wednesday, November 2, 2005

How Does This Happen?

Yes, I know more or less how this happens.  The weather changes, chlorophyll production stops, and the green that it created fades away so that it no longer masks the true color of the leaves.

I tend to think it really happens because God the Painter is at work.  Whenever I read the creation story in Genesis, I am struck by what a delightfully imaginative and good time God has.  "Hmmm . . . I think maybe an eagle . . . and an owl . . .  and a black-throated blue warbler . . . and a gannet, the best bird of all . . .  and some furry things, and some fuzzy things, and some striped things, and palm trees and Norwegian spruce trees, and the ocean, and glaciers, and, oh, back to those trees, all those hundreds of colors of green are very nice, but couldn't we have red and orange and yellow ones, too?"

No, I'm no Biblical literalist.  But I do think the Bible tells the absolute truth:  God is an artist.  How God must have loved those dinosaurs, to turn them into birds!

I have two main walks that I take.  One goes through the neighborhood to what we call Lower Lake, a small sort of oval shaped lake in the heart of the suburbs.  Sometimes I drive up there and walk around and from Lower Lake to Horseshoe Lake, half a mile further away. The walk around and between both lakes is about 3.5 miles.   My second regular walk is through the huge cemetery a couple of blocks away.  This maple is on one of the cemetery roads, a short distance from where someone I cared for was buried last week-end.  The cemetery was positively on fire with color yesterday.



Written by oceanmrc . (Link to this entry) This entry has 4 comments: Hide Recent | Add your own

    "No, I'm no Biblical literalist.  But I do think the Bible tells the absolute truth"


    At first this struck me as completely contradictory.  Now, I can't stop thinking about it.    Did you see the Harper's article on the Christian Paradox in the August issue?


    Comment from kathjensen - 11/1/05 8:32 AM

    Dear Robin:  

    Good luck with this new, focused journal.  As ever, your photographs are quite beautiful.  I think this will be a delightful trail for us to accompany you on.

    Vicky

    Comment from vxv123 - 10/30/05 10:08 PM

    Well, Robin, I think this could be a good place for you.  And, might I add, you are one of the few in the journal community who can correctly spell the word "cemetery..."  LOL!

    I'll be back as often as you are...  Lisa  :-]    
    Comment from lisaram1955 - 10/30/05 8:19 PM

    beautiful! Living in FL, I miss the fall colors.

    Beth
    Comment from stampinmom - 10/30/05 8:00 PM

No comments: