Thursday, November 10, 2005

Blues, the blues that make the walls rush in ~ Walls that tell you where you've been

If you even noticed her tonight, you would think that she looks like an ordinary suburban woman.  Jacket, boots, calf-length skirt identifying her as a teacher in a religious school.  Standing in the aisle looking for lean doggie food and Charmin Ultra.  Standing in the checkout line reading the local newspaper and noting with satisfaction the defeat of the city councilman who sought to void a gay rights ordinance.  Driving the several blocks home in the early darkness, enjoying the light from the houses set closely together when the neighborhoods were created seventy, eighty, ninety years ago.

But there's something about the waning nights of fall that evokes the melancholia of youth.  Fall evenings when she strode across the fields of the Connecticut River Valley, wearing a jacket and boots with a much shorter skirt and much longer hair, ruing the demise of a relationship rushed into too fast and too far and ended too soon, trying to sort out whether she should let that hair swing down and waitress on the Vineyard or put on her big round tortoiseshell glasses and head for halls of ivy.

There's only one thing for a night like this.  Pop a CD in and play Laura Nyro, LOUD ~ VERY LOUD, all the way home.

~ So let the wiiiiiind blow, Timer, I liiiiike your song.
And if the sooong goes minor, I won't mind . . .   .  ~

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mount Holyoke?

Like a sweet gift

From above

Kind of moonlit

And signed with love

Filled with the sweetest

Melt-in-your-mouth thing

You could dream of

People wait

They hesitate

Its getting late

--"Late for Love"--Laura Nyro

Anonymous said...

It is so warm here that really Jan. & Feb. are the only time we get to wear warm clothes. That sucks since I am a sweater person :(.

Gabreael

http://journals.aol.com/gabreaelinfo/GabreaelsBodyMindSpiritJournal/

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Laura Nyro - that VOICE!  Meanwhile, I have Lennon on in the background.  There are parts of us that stay, aren't there?  Our youthful sensitivities never leave.  I know where you are tonight, Robin.  I'm there with you, my dear,

Vicky

Anonymous said...

Gosh I can't even begin to put it in words, but somehow someway I have felt the same. It's always strange to know who we are now and look back to who we were then. Some things change, some don't.

Ari

Anonymous said...

I ALMOST had one of those moments myself, today.  You wonder...whatever happened to that person of thirty years ago?  You look at your life, and look back, and think,  "That couldn't possibly have been me."  Or, "This couldn't possibly BE me..."  Marvelous post, Robin.  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

    Ohhh, I know this feeling.  Always seems to show up around this time of year.  " I wonder where you are .... I wonder if you think about me, Once upon a time, in your wildest dreams."  Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme



Anonymous said...

Sometimes, you just have to let it blast and sing along at the top of your lungs!  I did the same thing yesterday with Joni Mitchell's Free Man in Paris.

Anonymous said...

Your on the Guest Editors pick list this week! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being an editor's pick. -Dawn-

Anonymous said...

Lots of similar moments here lately as well.  You give words to those experiences and feelings far better than I.  But I am listening to Cat Stevens right now!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being inlcuded on the week's Editor's Pick list!  Stacy

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being picked.  I will have to visit your journal again.
http://journals.aol.com//goinCrazy/

Anonymous said...

Blues, the blues that make the walls rush in ~ Walls that tell you where you've been - oh I do so love how these words feel.  Deep breath, thank you.  Wonderful post, let it all hang out and Congratulation of being choosen for the Editors Picks.

Marlene-PurelyPoetry
http://journals.aol.com/mkolasa101/PurelyPoetry

Anonymous said...

None of us are ordinary.   Loved this entry!

Anonymous said...

Nice, very nice.
Smiles,
Red