Monday, July 5, 2004

Disconcerting Transitions

Last night was my first 4th of July in nearly two decades with no children with whom to watch the fireworks.  Most years, all three have been with us, either at home or on vacation.  Some years, we've lost one or two to summer camp, but there's always been at least someone in the general vicinity.  (The last two years were kind of humorous -- one son resisted our pleas that he attend the fireworks with us, insisting that all the high schoolers wanted to go together.  We told him he could meet his friends there -- which he did, and then discovered that every one of them had also come with their parents!  It seems that we aren't alone in our reluctance to abandon family traditions to teenage peer pressure.)

Last night, though, they were all gone.  I'm thrilled for them; I love that two are working and one is studying -- all exactly where they want to be and beginning to move forward in their lives.  But it was still a bit painful.  My husband was still out of town, so I went with a friend whom I've known since our boys were babies.  I told her that we had somehow moved in what seemed like a brief flash of time from pushing strollers and carting juice bottles to the fireworks to settling our creaky bodies down to watch in the absence of our almost-adult children.  I guess we are waiting for grandchildren now (not for awhile, though!).

I should have mentioned yesterday that the Anniversary Torch came to me via Walk with me..., an incredible journal that inspires me every day and this week has earned a well-deserved spot on AOL's Editor's Weekly Picks.. 

Walked: 4.5 miles

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to admit, only my husband and Katherine went to watch the fireworks last night.  We had no idea where they were going to be so he drove around and just stopped on a road to watch a few different displays.  She enjoyed it, but he was starting to doze off.  We are all pretty jet lagged unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

It's such a simple family tradition...I know we take it for granted.  You can't help but think back to the very first year...for us with a small child in terror.  Our first one leaves next year...so we still have some time to go.  I'm sure it is a bittersweet jolt of empty nest syndrome.
Thanks for the lovely comments about my journal.  I don't know where the idea came from that I'm on the Editor's List though.  Regardless, I'm touched that you enjoy Walk With Me so much.  Your journal is delightful as well.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how quickly the years pass by?  Not having had children, I can only imagine how strange it must feel to experience a holiday like this without them.  But you went out to the fireworks instead of sitting at home feeling sorry for yourself.  That's the best you can do!  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

I actually was thinking of you yesterday, knowing the kids and your dh were gone, and wondering how you were doing.  Alex was almost gone with another family for the weekend, but decided he would rather spend the holiday weekend with us.  I was so glad, but for a moment realized it will not always be that way.  We all love this holiday so, and it would almost be like being apart at christmas for us.  I hope you had a good time with your friend.  Pamela