Friday, July 9, 2004

Week-end Assignments (#11 and #13)

I enjoy John's week-end assignments; I really do.  So I decided to go back and catch up on what I missed while I was in Florida. 

One thing that I missed, and I'm thinking everyone else did, too, was Assignment #12!  I got a little compulsive and started added numbers to all my week-end assignment journals and lo and behold -- I don't think John ever posted a #12.  Could that be?  Or I am just incapable of finding it?  Either way, I can only find two that I missed, so I'll do those.  If someone can find #12, let me know where it is, ok?  Here goes:

Number 11 - Summer Songs:

Summer in the City by the Lovin' Spoonful and A Summer Song by Chad and Jeremy.  The first one immediately takes me back to the summers of my early adolescence, parts of which were spent in my grandmother's small house in the heat and humidity of Cincinnati, sitting out on the kitchen porch, listening to the radio and longing for a summer when I would be old enough to go out and dance all night in the city streets.  The second one -- well, didn't we all dream of a wistful end to a sweet summer romance?  Mine all seemed to end more abruptly and painfully, with autumn leaves crashing rather than falling, but the song does evoke a nice fantasy.

Number 13: Founding Fathers:

Mine would be Patrick Henry.  He was the one, with his "Give me liberty or give me death!" speech, who always inspired me when I was a little girl.  I soaked up several biographies about him, and couldn't wait to visit Patrick Henry sites on trips to Virginia. I'm going to be teaching American history to 8th graders this coming year, so I'll have a chance to get reacquainted with a childhood hero.

So........bring on Number 12!

No comments: