Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Pisgah Forest: Old Favorites

Last Friday, with the morning entirely to myself, I headed up through Pisgah Forest to visit some familiar spots.  I wanted to get there early and have the place to myself, but I hadn't taken into account how long it takes for the sun to make its way over the mountains and trees.  The forest wakes up slowly:

My first stop was Looking Glass Falls, which is just off the highway and a few hours later would be packed with tourists.  I have such good memories of lazy afternoons spent here, sunning on the rocks while our children played in the creek and swam in the pool under the falls:

Then I went a little further, to Sliding Rock, which a little later would also will be covered with excited kids, bold teenagers, and somewhat hesitant parents, all flying down the surface into the shockingly cold water at the bottom.  In the silence of the early morning, the remains of yesterday's adventures were apparent in the two dozen or more abandoned t-shirts, towels, sandals and, even, swimsuits -- hmmmm:

When I was a camper in North Carolina 40 years ago (yep -- same camp where my children now work), trips to Sliding Rock were highlights of our summers.  We put great effort into passing the prerequisite swimming test, and great care into choosing the shorts sturdy enough to keep our swimsuits from being ripped to shreds.  I hear that insurance concerns now prevent the camp from taking young children there, but it was an exciting rite of passage back in the dark ages:

Walked: 3 miles.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I for got how much I like WATER and GREENERY.  I'm glad you appreciate your surroundings.  Hey, what kind of digicam do you have and how many MPs is it?  DH and I are going to buy one soon.

Anonymous said...

So Beautiful!  Now I'm wondering why we ever decided to leave NC and move to CA.  

Anonymous said...

My favorite line in the whole piece was "The Forest wakes up slowly."    So true.    Thanks for taking me there.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!!! Thanks

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry.  The pictures
are gorgeous!
-Connie

Anonymous said...

ok, i was truly enjoying your journal, and the pics, then i came to this entry, about the pisgah forest.  on the first pic, do you see a face or skull next to the tree trunk on the right hand side?  or am i seeing things again, lol.  sorta spooked me.  but the pics are gorgeous of the woods and falls.  keep journaling.  regina

http://journals.aol.com/wumzels2/SEDUCTIONOFLIFE/

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!  I will have to go to Pisgah Forest soon!!  The sliding rock that is in my photo journal is actually not the "famous" one that you went to.  It's a local swimming hole that has also been dubbed sliding rock.  =)  Our sliding rock is on the Cullusaja river.  =)

Thanks for stopping by my journal!!!!

Kell