Thursday, April 28, 2005

At Home in the Sky: Architects and Birds

So. . .   Pope Julius wanted a brand new big huge ol' church to replace Constantine's deteriorating rubble and show off his political and religious power.  He hired Donato Bramante to design a new St. Peter's and Bramante, obsessed with the second century Pantheon, decided to build a church with a brand new big huge in fact gigantic ol' concrete dome just like the one on the Pantheon.  It was probably a good thing that Bramante died pretty early in the process, because that dome of his would have fallen down and smashed everything and everyone in its path.  For the next few decades several popes and their architects squabbled over the plans for St. Peter's, but they mostly ignored the dome until Antonio da Sangallo the Younger came along with a new idea.  He died, too, which gave the mercurial and pouting Michelangelo the chance to insult him and produce his own plan before he too -- guess what?  -- died.  So the dome was finally finished by Giacomo della Porta, which was probably a good thing because Michelangelo himself had some ideas that might have resulted in a big crash.  And instead, there it stands -- not as beautiful in my considered opinion as the domes of the Pantheon in Rome or the Duomo in Florence, but definitely a great big huge and now old dome.

I have spent days and days on a paper sorting out the adventures of Signore Buonarotti and his buddies and I'm getting a bit punchy.  You would not BELIEVE how obtuse art history writing is -- including my own.  My 15-page paper pretty much boils down to the above.   On the other hand, GOING to St. Peter's is really fun--the hike up the spiral stairs that curve around the interior of the dome, ever narrower and narrower, and the view of Roma from the walkway around the lantern -- everyone should have those experiences at least once. 

ANYWAY, while I have been slogging through the esoterica of academia, the Blackwater eagles have been growing up and the osprey have an egg!  Actually, that mama osprey looks so restless tonight that I'm betting she's laying another one practically at this minute.  Take a look and enjoy the fact that spring is here -- even if it is a very damp 45 degrees outside.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and don't forget the ivory-billed woodpeckers!  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

Wow, 15 pages!  I give you lots of credit.....  that's a lot of work.

Anonymous said...

I understand that sorting out the specifics of art and architecture can be tedious at times.  Consider the influences these domes had (and continue to have) in our own country and around the world, and they seems to become even more fascinating.  Obviously, Signore Buonarotti (aka, Michelangelo) was a huge contributor to the Renaissance, and contrary to what many people think, we art historians are still learning a lot about him and his work.  I agree, experiencing the dome of St. Peter's is really fun, the dome opening at the top revealing all of Roma is breathtaking.  Beautiful and worth every step it took to hike through the narrow and arched/curved passageway!  However, the experience would not have been as fulfilling for me had I not known as much history as I did about St. Peter's.  Did you happen to visit Casa Buonarotti in Florence?  Good luck on your paper.
Best,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

Oh, I agree!  We visited Italy a few years ago when it seemed imperative that we take a family trip to Europe before the kids' activities and responsibilities precluded it.  Italy was their choice --and how I wish I had had more time to study before we went.  Now that I am immersed in Renaissance art, I can't wait to go back and just look and look, for hours on end.  My daughter is talking about studying Italian in college, which I am hoping will lead to a study program in Italy, which will of course lead to the absolute necessity of me returning <G>!

Anonymous said...

We were in Italy several years ago and took that hike up into the dome of St. Peter's.  It is an experience and an awesome view.  My most vivid recollection though is of the mosiacs of teeny tiny tiles...and the level of detail.  I can't imagine how long it took to tile the inside of that dome.

Anonymous said...

I WILL get to Italy one day.
Tami