Friday, April 29, 2005

Meyers-Briggs questionnaires have been floating around, as have a few little debates about the validity and usefulness of Meyers-Briggs typing.  I tend to think they have some use as a tool for introspection and self-understanding, which has resulted in a certain level of curiosity on my part about the rather dramatic changes in my own "type."  Ten to twenty years ago I was a pretty hardcore ENTJ; these days I seem to have morphed into an INFP.  What gives?

A friend with whom I was discussing this suggested that life experiences tend to alter significantly the way we approach and respond to things.  That seemed like an emminently reasonable possibility, and sent me back to re-do the test as if I were myself twenty years ago.  That effort wasn't entirely successful, since there's a lot I can't remember, but a few sections of the test on which I am sure my answers have changed dramatically really stood out.

I am MUCH more able to express my feelings than I was as a young woman.  I take myself seriously and I don't assume that my priorities match those of anyone else.  I understand that if I want something, it's up to me to go after it.

I don't place nearly the importance that I once did on meeting deadlines, getting places on time, answering the telephone, or "standing by my principles," whatever that means.  Life has demanded far more flexibility and bendability than I could have anticipated even ten years ago.  My hardcore values (Micah 6:8) are immutable, but I have long since given up on the hope that I can achieve even one of them for more than a second or two at a time.   And I have had enough stunning disappointments that I know I can't impose my so-called standards on anyone else either.

I am vastly more inclined to experiment and improvise, have far more ability to anticipate how things will play out (and far less worry about whether they will), and am much more willing to  try new things than I was as that long-ago young woman.  I am no longer interested in following the "tried and true" or checking obessively on how things are progressing. 

In some ways, I am just more detached than I once was -- which doesn't seem to be reflective of an INFP type.  But in others, I am just more accepting of what comes, and far less inclined to make judgments.  (My daughter would probably laugh hysterically if she read that.  But I think that if she gave it some thought, she might see that behind the snap comments is a very real ability to let things go.)

We have about as much ability to control the outcome of our endeavors as a magnolia tree has to keep its blossoms.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that last sentence the best---it says it all!

Anonymous said...

Ten years ago, the job that I had held for the previous eight years had brought about a lot of changes in my personality, particularly in how I would react in social situations.  I have always been an introvert, but if I had taken a test at that time, it might even have showed me as an extrovert.  Now, I find that I have, in some ways, reverted to what I was as a teenager, but that has been tempered by  my life experiences.  So I think that it should come as no suprise to anyone that one can test out differently at different times of their lives...  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

I had to formally test the Meyers- Briggs in my late twenties and again soon after I turned 40.  My results both times were a solid INFJ, but I feel that the emphasis within the characteristics has shifted.  People are surprised now that I'm an introvert, but I know what real socializing costs me and what nourishes me.  I trust my intuitive nature more so now than ever.  I think part of me will always analyze and reassure myself with logic on some things, but I find that I need logical reassurance less on many issues.  The feeling aspect of me has become stronger but calmer, and I'm more aware of the pitfalls of that J in my temperament, but I struggle less against its benefits.

Anonymous said...

Hello fellow INFP :o) I've always fallen into the INFP category. It's interesting that about 9 years ago <I think around there> I took the Meyers-Briggs test for a college professer, She was astounded that I had fallen into the INFP category. Maybe it is still now, but back then, it was considered rare, a 1% of the population hit this range. I still fall into the INFP when I take the test. So in the grand scheme of things, who knows how useful it all is.
Take Care
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

I was and still am an INFJ - with the J very much turned inward most of the time.  And I really do envy you your ability to let go of the minutiae of life that still hold me in thrall.  Punctuality is a cruel taskmaster to me!

Interesting perspective on how you have grown and changed.  I guess midlife ain't so bad after all...

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

I've changed from an INFP to an ENFP....over the past twenty years. Of course, I've had a lot of head injuries since then. :-)

Anonymous said...

I know I would have difficulty remembering a lot from so long ago...but I am sure the lessons of life and the experience of parenting has changed me.

I love the photograph.  Very poignant.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was an interesting test.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ocean,
I stumbled on the blog quite by accident and feel most prompted to respond to this entry. The reason I have responded is I had the exact same before and after results in a ten year span on the Meyer Briggs test scores that you have had. I strongly believe that long term counseling brought the "real" me out and the original profile was the persona I displayed to the world in a prior life. Maturity, life experiences, a deepening spiritual dimension and a defining divorce experience was the distillation process I had to go through to begin to even glimpse my authentic self. I am on my way and I don't know where I am going but I have more confidence because I have a better sense of self.
Please take good care of yourself. Doug