Saturday, April 2, 2005

Huffing and Puffing through The College Process

When I began The Great Downstairs Cleaning Adventure this morning, I realized that I had to start with my shell table.  It needed wood polishing and glass cleaning -- and it also needed interior vacuuming, which meant that all the shells got to be rearranged.  I think that all of those on this side are my own finds, except for the seahorses, which came from the Shell Shop in St. Augustine.  Ahhh, I am missing the beach, expecially as we in the balmy midwest approach a record for annual snowfall this morning.

I haven't gotten any further than the shell table, because The College Decision Process that looms over us re-captured my attention when my daughter came downstairs.  She is waiting to hear from one last school, and on the scholarship that she knows she's received from another.  The mail came and went, with no college envelopes, so we are moribund in the desert of indecision until at least Monday night.

I've been spending some time on a college message board and, while I am frustrated by the delays and surprises in the process -- even the third time through -- I have told my husband and daughter that they should be grateful for the level of realism and calm that I DO manage to exhibit.  Some of the parents online are unbelieveable.  I don't know how anyone, anywhere, regardless of a child's grades, scores, and other credentials, could view an application to an Ivy League or similar-caliber school as anything but a crapshoot, but there are apparently lots of folks out there who were under the impression until this week that the result for their own exceptional offspring was guaranteed.  Do they really not understand that there are literally thousands of young people just as brilliant, talented, creative, and accomplished as their own?  How can someone make it through nearly two decades of parenting and still believe, as we all should, of course, at the moment our children arrive in this world, that their son or daughter is so stratospherically superior to all the rest that Harvard should be waiting with open arms?

Last spring  at a presentation by senior parents for junior parents at my daughter's school, one father expressed his anguish that his academic and athletic superstar child had been turned down by SuperSchool A and was going to attend SuperSchool B.  "It's just so difficult to see your child's disappointment after he has worked so hard," he said.  Yes, it is; it's very difficult.  But as my daughter said when I reported the discussion to her, "If he's reached the age of 18 and the worst thing that's ever happened to him is that he's going to SuperSchool B instead of SuperSchool A, then he really doesn't know much about disappointment, does he?"

Oh, well.  I hope that my daughter makes a good choice out of the wonderful ones available to her.  But I'm glad that she's setting an example for me of a balanced perspective and realistic understanding of the role of college in the grand scheme of things.

Meanwhile, I am playing, not cleaning:

Walked 2 miles in thick slushy snow and got soaked.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the picture at the end!  Yay for DD.... she'll do just fine at whatever school she chooses :-)  Pamela

Anonymous said...

Way too many people are caught up in super-achievement.  Parents spend thousands of dollars preparing their children for entry into big schools and they want the pay off.  I agree with you that so many people have lost their moorings on what counts as legitimate disappointment.  At most, not getting into the school of your dreams is a mild setback; at best it is a challenge to move forward and carve out your life with your own two hands.  The Greeks had it right with the story of Achilles.  Too many parents are trying to make their children invulnerable.  The trouble is, there's always that heel.

Anonymous said...

The shells!  I have a dial-up connection, so the pictures took a long time to load.  After I posted, I saw them.  How beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your shells!  Isn't that always what happens?  We go toward the grand cleanout, and somehow get sidetracked with playing or memories.  And that is what makes it all worthwhile!

Re the super-schools.  I have to come clean - my son is at a super-school.  He is brilliant and his mind is just as sharp if not more so than many of his peers there.  It'll look great on his resume.  But how has he benefited intrinsically?  I'm altogether not sure.  He's made a couple of wonderful, really good friends.  He has been exposed to some great minds and has been able to take some incredibly advanced classes.  But, has he really been able to make the best of these four years?  (He's graduating in June.) Probably not.  He has ADHD (primarily inattentive) and it has been a nightmare for him to keep up with all the work.  He has not taken advantage of one single extra-curricular activity.  A social life outside of his dorm has been minimal at best.  No dating.  What kind of life is that?  To be frank, this mama wonders whether it was all worth it.  I'll be glad when he is outta there.

Food for thought.  And the very best of luck to your daughter - it sounds like she is growing to be as wise as her mama!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Wonderful shell collection...you are so organized...I have them in baskets here and there and everwhere.  My grandkids love them and usually end up taking some home.  I'm still holding off of cleaning that back room I know it will take me forever because I'll be caught up in old memories, keep, not keep...and so on.

Marlene-PurelyPoetry

Anonymous said...

great shells, better daughter, and remember what my ds said today:  the ivies have been very harsh this year.

Anonymous said...

Hello dear, just wanted you to know i've been here, roaming through your recent entries, enjoying some time with your wonderful self.  love your pictures, especially the easter morning moon.  beautiful evocative image.  i want you to come read the Lisel Mueller poem on my Mens Sana journal - do you know this poet?  i have just discovered her, and am in love.  at least with this poem, and with several more i have read since it.  
our house is full of shells, everywhere,  bookshelves, windowsills, bathrooms, bowls of them - not as artistically arranged as yours, i regret to say.

Anonymous said...

Hello dear, just wanted you to know i've been here, roaming through your recent entries, enjoying some time with your wonderful self.  love your pictures, especially the easter morning moon.  beautiful evocative image.  i want you to come read the Lisel Mueller poem on my Mens Sana journal - do you know this poet?  i have just discovered her, and am in love.  at least with this poem, and with several more i have read since it.  
our house is full of shells, everywhere,  bookshelves, windowsills, bathrooms, bowls of them - not as artistically arranged as yours, i regret to say.

Anonymous said...

Your daughter sounds incredibly level headed and reasonable!  Stacy

Anonymous said...

Your daughter is a wise young lady.  I think often the kids are much more realistic about their situations than their parents.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Your shells are so beautiful!  YOu are so right about the college acceptances being a crap shoot and your daughter's observation is absolutely brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I love your shell table and am sending lots of positive vibes for your dear daughter. Hugs to all, judi

Anonymous said...

Crapshoot indeed. How I dread the college application process.  This summer we are going to start visiting schools for my older daughter.