Tuesday, April 19, 2005

A Prayer of Sorts

My second Theresa question:  Write a prayer that says, flat out, what the soul longs for. 

Caveat:  I have no idea what "the" soul even is, much less what it longs for.  That said,

*********************************

It's often been noted that all prayer boils down to "Help!" and Thank You!"

I think that what both of those prayers encompass is our longing to know whether there is a God, to know who that God is, to see with the eyes of God, and to apprehend the peace and understanding that we imagine would come if only we could see all things, from the vastness of the cosmos down to the most irritating  and trivial of our daily experiences, with the generosity and love of God.  

I have spent time over the past few years trying to develop a contemplative prayer practice, at the heart of which is a desire to listen for God.  No petitions, praise, confessions -- all of which have their place -- but rather an attempt to be still and hear.  Not so easy, as can be attested to by anyone who has tried to quiet her inner monologue for more than one second.   

All of the above is simply to introduce the prayer that I would write today, if I were writing prayers (with a nod to Julian of Norwich (c. 1342-1416) and her nutshell):  

How does everything look from where you stand?  Like a tulip, by any chance?

     

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful picture.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I've been working on my own contemplative prayer journey, and it's been very challenging.  I've often wished I could tell my mind to just shut up.  Those deliciously rare moments of connection, however, are so worth the effort.  I found it interesting that you brought up Julian of Norwich. I find myself reading and rereading what I can find that she wrote.  I'm just beginning to scratch the surface.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing that the explanation of something so short, simple and beautiful as your prayer is so hard to make (and long).  It suggests to me that the spirit knows a sort of short hand that logic does not.  Your prayer stunning.  I like the idea of listening, rather than talking, talking, talking.  I like the idea of questions that encourage us to beauty, rather than the self-absorbed, "Why me?"  My, but you'd be the kind of pastor I could give myself in service to.  Thank you, Robin, for the though and effort you put into this.  

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!
Judith

Anonymous said...

Everybody seems to have a particular subject matter that ignites their writing...for you, it is...I don't know what to call it, exactly.  Religion?  Faith?  Spirituality?  This stuff comes from deep inside you, and it is evident.

Okay...now I have a request.  Tell me about Julian of Norwich.  E-mail?  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

Incredible photo!  

Anonymous said...

In Buddhist mediation practice I learned a bit about quieting the mind.  That became a necessary first step in animal communication/shamanic journeying.... both important to my spiritual practice.

I have a friend who is an accomplished animal communicator.  She has a practice of once she gets to the quite place in her mind where she has turned off her own voices, to put out to whoever is listening the question:  "Does anyone have a message for me?" and then she sits quietly and listens.  I have been amazed and deeply touched by the messages she gets back.

Peace,  Virginia

Anonymous said...

Neat photo. Concering your post you might enjoy the one I just posted on stepping out of ones abyss.
Gabreael
http://journals.aol.com/gabreaelinfo/GabreaelsBodyMindSpiritJournal/

Anonymous said...

Very cool picture. ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

Have you considered Tai Chi?  I had a hard time with Sitting Zen, but the concentration of moving deliberately and slowly frees the mind, and I felt merged with One...it is an Empty/Full sensation.

Come visit our daily blog ! http://journals.aol.com/hestiahomeschool/HomeschoolingJournal