Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Spring

Truthfully, I think that the week-end's heavy, wet snow, which produced a snow day (!) for my daughter and broke apart countless nearby apple and dogwood trees, probably finished off the magnolias as well.  This photograph was taken last week:

The Final Questions:

4) You and I both identify ourselves as liberal Christians.  I know you're familiar with the political ideas of Rev. Jim Wallis and others.  Do you think it's realistic that the "Religious Left" can come to have as strong a voice in the political arena as the Religious Right?  More importantly, can we do so without becoming what we don't to be?

I was discussing this question with another journaler online a couple of nights ago and I have to say that, no, I don't think that we will ever have as a strong a voice in the public arena.  Tolerance for other viewpoints and lifestyles is a hallmark of liberalism, which means that we seldom take to the airwaves or the streets to insist that others do it our way (although we do try to insist that others should be able to do things their way -- which is not nearly so sexy or compelling).  For instance, I have heard repeatedly from conservative Christians that the concept of gay marriage is an affront to the institution of marriage.  Even if that were true (which I don't believe to be the case), the obvious response to someone who makes that complaint is, "So, don't marry someone of your own gender."  How can it possibly damage heterosexual marriage for gay people to marry?  How can it damage heterosexual marriage for the legal requirements for marriage to be expanded, as long as heterosexuals are still included?

(Still included?! I hear a gasp arising from the conservative side.  What kind of a joke is that?  But that's the point.  If you are in the comfortable majority, it's hard to imagine that your securely protected rights could be eliminated, or that others might prefer they that they never existed in the first place.)

As long as we liberals remain baffled by the instinct to exert control over others and inhibited in the exercise thereof, our voices will remain muted -- which is perhaps just as it should be.  Muted but powerfully persistent.  We surely do not want Mr. Frist's insistence that "people of faith" are dimished by liberal politcal positions to go unchallenged.  I have taken to writing to my own conservative U.S. Senators on social and environmental issues for the explicit purpose of ensuring that they understand that not all Christianity resides right of center.

5) With your hiking, your birding, and your beautiful nature photography, could you see yourself living a truly urban life?

I've been thinking about this all week and I think the answer is absolutely! -- given  vibrant urban neighborhoods with easy access to safe walking streets and paths and parks and reasonable geographic proximity to outlying areas.  I could live in Paris in  a second, and I could live in Boston, Providence, New York, Chicago, Asheville, or San Francisco. Possibly New Orleans, too, as it seems I am about to discover. I can't see myself in exurbia, but urban  and inner ring suburban (where I live now) neighborhoods, with their access to great art, culture, music, dining and yes, nature, too are probably actually preferable to rural areas. 

Thanks again to SisterCDR for her thought-provoking effort in creating these questions! 

PS: Added later:  OK, I imagine Portland and Seattle would be great, too.   And Tacoma and Vancouver and Toronto and Montreal.

PSS:  Added much later:  I completely forgot that I love Washington, DC!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one thing I hated about late snows or when it was freezing rain rather than snow was the major damage to the trees.  I know another city you could live in - Seattle!  You would love it there!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful magnolia photo.  My mother has a magnolia tree in her back yard and once it bloomed we ALWAYS knew we were in for one more frost or snow.  Then...they're done.

I agree with you about the urban environment.  I've lived in both and each has it's own pleasures.

Anonymous said...

Great photograph.  I agree with you about the religious/political question. I just can't see it happening.  The left doesn't have a denomination like the Southern Baptists who would take a strong political stand, and the political tactics of gaining presence and influence so often run contrary to the values the religious left espouse.

Anonymous said...

Lefty-loosey/Righty-tighty.  :-)  Do you think MLK represented what we call the Christian Left today?  I keep thinking about the '60s when liberal values were at the forefront of things.  What a beautiful time it was.  When I heard Obama talk at the DNC, I was reminded of those times and those values.  I started crying.

Anonymous said...

I read an article about Jim Wallis last week, very scary stuff.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your thoughtful responses.  As I'm just getting starting in j-land, they are very helpful in getting to know the community.  I am very concerned  about the one-party path our country and the state in which I live is taking. --Beth

Anonymous said...

Hey...I live with two blocks from a guy who keeps horses in his front yard, but I am twenty minutes away from the cultural hub of the state (which might not be New York or Paris, but Portland has its own charms...)  I think of it as the best of both worlds.  Being "exurbia" born and bred, I don't think I could ever thrive living IN the city...  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Well said - on all of it!  I do so worry about the intolerance that is dominating the airwaves, and agree that because of its very nature, liberalism is almost doomed to be shouted down in this environment.  I am delighted that you are contacting your representatives and feel that I should follow suit.  I have sent the odd e-amil, but there must be more I can do to make my voice heard - we can all learn from your example.

BTW - how wonderful to hear a positive, thoughtful argument for gay marriage from the Christian viewpoint - and how refreshing.

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

PS LOVE that photo!

Anonymous said...

I was in the neighborhood and what to my wandering eyes should appear. . .
THE  most beautiful close up of a magnolia!!!

Oh, what a beautiful photo.  What talent!

That just made my day.  Feast for the eyes!!!

Anonymous said...

love the entry and the photo.... and I respect you. judi