Saturday, April 23, 2005

Things On My Mind

The car . . . totalled.  Not much else to say.  Ahead of us, an unwanted new car and a court date for the teenager.

The teenager . . . survived the events surrounding Senior Skip Day, which involved minor pranks, kids driving around in groups in cars in the wee hours of the morning, parties and meals and movies and sleepovers and basically 24 hours away from home connected only by the evanescent filament of the cell phone.

The television. . .a powerful conclusion/cliffhanger to Joan of Arcadia last night.  What brilliant creators and writers that show has.  As the daughter and I mulled it over, I began to realize the significance of every character's name, including Ryan ("little king") Hunter (okay, that one's obvious), the devil incarnate.  Will -- that's the essence of the father, all right.  Helen -- a woman around whom the world once centered.  Grace -- Joan's best friend, the Jewish daughter of a rabbi and an alcoholic, a best friend who comes bearing invisible gifts -- what else could she be named?  Kevin -- the charming brother confined to a wheelchair; his name means "handsom."  Luke -- the physics-obsessed younger brother, "bearer of light."  Judith, Joan's dead friend -- a Biblical heroine.  And all the physics stuff -- the knowledge that is bringing us closer to the essence of God, and all those high school kids variously engaged with or made miserable by it.  The most orginal and powerful show on television.

The Christians. .  . the other ones.  For a terrifying read, check out the May issue of Harper's magazine:  Soldiers of Christ:  Inside America's Most Powerful Megachurch and Feeling the Hate with the National Religious Broadcasters.  It doesn't seem to be online yet, so I'll just share this brief quote from the second article:

"I can't help but recall the words of my ethics professor at Harvard Divinity School. .  .who told us that when we were his age. . . we would all be fighting 'the Christian fascists.'  ***  "[F]ascism, [he] warned, would not return wearing swastikas and brown shirts.  Its ideological inheritors would cloak themselves in the language of the Bible; they would come carrying crosses and chanting the Pledge of Allegiance."

They are here. . . pay attention to tomorrow's Justice Sunday, a mega-event being planned by the extreme Christian Right and its buddy Bill Frist to bring attention to the filibuster issue and their view that the judiciary has trampled on sacred ground with its consideration of abortion and gay rights issues.  Justice Sunday bears no connection to either justice or shabbos, but that isn't stopping the folks who have concluded that Jesus Christ was born to lead a conservative and authoritarian United States of America to its righful political dominion over the world.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the accident and the car being totaled.  Did they acually skip classes on Senior Skip Day?  It looks like it's planned for May 5th here which is right during AP exams - Oops!  Guess D won't be participating in that.

Anonymous said...

Oh I missed the show last night.  I only catch it occasionally but really enjoy it when I do watch it.  Interesting about the names.....

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the car and the court date. Glad your teenager is alright.

Anonymous said...

Good and frightening entry about the lost path of the religious "right".
Thanks for sharing,
Virginia

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your daughter is ok after her accident...I've been through this several times with my 2 oldest...

Anonymous said...

I am glad that only the car was harmed!  :-)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the car and the court date but very glad nobody was hurt.

I think that Harper's must be in the pile of mail that I haven't dealt with yet.   Thanks for the alert to find it and devour it.

Anonymous said...

Let me add my thoughts of sympathy on the car and the daughter - glad it was not more serious for her, but it is all difficult to go through.  My best wishes for the court date.  When my older son had a court date, it sure was a lesson for my younger son - so maybe someone else will benefit from all of this.

Meanwhile, your comments on the Harper's feature and the quote really struck home with me.  I was raised a Christian, but no longer espouse those views.  On the other hand, I have had nothing but openness in my heart about Christianity...until recently.  This new "Christian fascism" darkens the horizon, and I feel my tolerance being stretched beyond its bounds.  I saw a bumper sticker recently that said, "Christians aren't always right, but they are forgiven."  That bothered me greatly.  More than anything, it is the view that their authoritarian strictures (not scriptures) are inviolable, and that everyone else is wrong and will go to hell that upsets me the most.  I am so glad that you are pointing out that they do NOT represent Christianity as a whole, Robin.  But they sure as heck do shout loudly.

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I glad your teenager is okay.  Sorry about the car.  :(  Unexpected expenses are a pain aren't they?  For me, they seems to happen when I don't have any ready cash on hand.  Good luck with the court date.  Yikes!!
Tami  

Anonymous said...

Oh I live in mortal fear of any of my children behind the wheel, and they are all in their 20's.  So glad your child is okay.  http://journals.aol.com/theresarrt7/TheresaWilliams-author/

Anonymous said...

Teenagers and cars....a scary combination.  Combined with Senioritis!!  YIKES!!
I'm glad she's ok...and sorry to hear about the car.  I hope it scared the bejeebers out of her.  They don't realize how quickly and accident can happen...until they've been in one.

Anonymous said...

<Justice Sunday bears no connection to either justice or shabbos, but that isn't stopping the folks who have concluded that Jesus Christ was born to lead a conservative and authoritarian United States of America to its righful political dominion over the world.>  Yep...that's pretty scary...  Lisa  :-]