Friday, April 1, 2005

Male Optimism

In furtherance of one of my April goals (see previous entry), I asked my husband tonight whether he thought Home Depot carries tin ceiling tiles.  It had occurred to me that we could actually go out together on a Friday night and look at Home Depot stuff. 

"No," he said, "I think we're going to have to order them from a tin tile place."

"You know," he added, surprised, and gesturing back toward the sunroom, "that's a big project. There's a  lot of preparatory work to do."

"I KNOW that,"  I said.  "That's why we need to start NOW.  It's April 1st, and we need to finish by October."

"OCTOBER?????"  He looked even more surprised.  "It isn't going to take a WEEK."

I'm sorry; I am still laughing.  It takes us a WEEK to find an extension cord.

*********************************

I did walk 4 miles today.  I needed it, and that was before hearing my husband's construction estimates.  My daughter has heard from all but one of her colleges.  She's been accepted to all of those but one, where she was wait-listed, and has scholarship offers ranging from 0 to much more.  There's a lot to think about.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is too funny about your DH's comments!  Maybe he means a full week, non-stop, night and day?

Anonymous said...

LOL!  I love the picture of the smurf, I'll have to show it to alex!  It's his favorite word... he uses it for everything.  verb, adjective, noun.  "smurfin this and that".  I have to go back and read your goals.....

Anonymous said...

I read your entry to my husband.  He's still laughing.  About the "week" part.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

A WEEK?!?!?!?!  hahahahaha.  Just promise on your next journal brithday that you don't show us a picture of the hole still waiting okay?

Anonymous said...

Both Lowes and the Depot carry reproduction "tin" for ceilings, available also in copper.  Aside, a suggestion from someone that has done major construction with the fella -- start now.  Tell him that while you believe it is absolutely true that the work could be done in a week -- the number of fights the two of you will have during the process will occur in reverse proportion to the number of hours you allow yourselves to accomplish the task.  We built a house in 17 weeks, it still amazes me that murder was not done before the house was. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Your husband sounds like a hoot!