Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Algonquin Travels

Well, I don't have to work tomorrow, which means I don't have to work tonight.  So I thought I'd just play around a little with whatever I could find online.  My boys are canoeing in the backcountry of Ontario's Algonquin Provincial Park with my dad and his wife.  I haven't been there in a couple of years, so I thought I'd just imagine the trip they are taking.  Algonquin is a north woods park, a couple or more hours north of Toronto:     The main birds there are loons:     We've seen osprey there, too:   http://www.stetson.edu/~pmay/woodruff/osprey.jpg   And one night I heard the wolves of Algonquin:

Mostly, though, we canoe:

Portage:

Camp:

And hang out with loons:

(This loon is carrying a chick on her back. How cool is that?)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics but I esp. like the loon carrying her baby.   I wonder how long they do that.     Orangutangs carry their babies with them everywhere for up to 3 years.

Anonymous said...

By the time ice forms on the lakes, those babies are grown up, in the air and headed south.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that looks so nice. I wish I were there right now!

Anonymous said...

The call of a loon takes me right back to misty mornings on the Northwoods lakes during our camping vacations when I was a kid.  Wild, chilling, mournful, and a little comical all at the same time...

Anonymous said...

Every three years of so we take a vacation to Killarney, in Ontario. We have some Ojibwa friends there. It is absolutely stunning, and so clean and clear...