Wednesday, September 8, 2004

Frances is Here...

in a mild kind of way.  It's been raining steadily since mid-morning and I guess we have another day of rain ahead of us.

This was a full day that left me with little sense of accomplishment  and a keen awareness of all that I could be doing with respect to my own work, my mess of a house, my daughter's college applications, my son's college loans, and my sons' impending canoe trip with my father and his wife in Canada.  Here's what I did:

1.  Spent more than an hour early this morning searching the basement for our first aid kit, trying repeatedly to reach my husband on the off chance that he had put it with his soccer equipment (he coaches a girls' U-10 team), calling Bean's to order a new one only to find that they couldn't get it here before Friday, calling the outfitter in Ontario to have one set aside for when my little tour group arrives there...all only to find out at 9:00 tonight that my husband does indeed have ours in his car.  Is there a reason that 10-year-old young ladies on a suburban soccer field ten minutes from two major hospital systems need a wilderness medical kit?

2.  Slipped in a walk before the downpour began.

3. Taught five classes, some of them more successfully than others.

4.  Admitted defeat on the teacher work space project, took some stuff from home into work at lunch, and spent some time organizing a tiny carrel to my minimal satisfaction.  At least I had had the good sense to establish squatter's rights there before school started.

5.  Stood in the pouring rain to watch my daughter's soccer team go down in defeat 4-0.

6.  Spent one-and-one-half hours at the first senior class college meeting of the year (barefoot, since my socks and sneakers were soaked) (as were all the women's soccer seniors, from head to toe), listening mostly to details I've been through twice and shaking my head at all the deadlines that my lovely child is doing her best to ignore.

7.  Prepared two classes for tomorrow -- one of them with some help from photos from our own Journey to China.

OK!  - I'm done.  But first I should add, in gratitude, that my sons did all the grorcery shopping and started preparing food for the arrival of the grandparents tomorrow.  They are far better at those tasks than I am -- I'm thinking that they should move home immediately to finish college and take care of their mom.

 

Walked: 3.5 miles.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew!  What a busy day.  When the school year starts, it really starts with a bang, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

I loved the China jnl!  I was sorry to see it end.  Sounds like a very busy day.  How do you find the hours?

Anonymous said...

What a busy day.........all that and got the walk in too.......good for you!  I have to find that hour "me" time again.......for the walk......I really need it!

~jerseygirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl