Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Goldenrod

I suppose that the first weeks of fall bring back memories of early school days for almost everyone.

I grew up out in the country and took a bus to school.  One morning when I was in about third grade, my grandmother walked me down our hill to the bus and, since we had a bit of a wait, helped me pick a bouquet of the goldenrod growing along the fence across the road as a present for my teacher.

No one in my family had any allergies; I was unacquainted with the concept of an allergic reaction.  Needless to say, my teacher gift provoked some responses that were disappointing.

And not nearly so exciting as the results the following spring, when my grandmother sent me to school with another of her finds,  a praying mantis egg case.  I stored it carefully in my desk and forgot all about it until a few days later, when baby praying mantises scattered across the room.  What shrieks erupted from my friends on either side of the aisle!

Walked: 3 miles (no hawk).

Walked so far in  September: 45.7 miles.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How disappointing that the teacher didnt' appreciate your flowers.  Very funny about the praying manti.  

Anonymous said...

Too funny!!!  :)

Anonymous said...

COOL PICTURE!  I really like it.  I have a similar story, but I was about 27 and I picked them for our dining room table, thinking I was making our house homey.  My husband came home and asked me if I was trying to kill him.  He told me he was terribly allergic!  I had no idea.  I've never had an allergic reaction to anything in my life, and no one in my family had allergies, when we were growing up.   Pamela

Anonymous said...

So lovely!!!!  Golden rod is the state flower of Kentucky. On our river property we have an endangered species of goldenrod blooming that only grows in one county of Kentucky!