Monday, September 6, 2004

Late Summer Morning

Oregon Roses

I had a glorious beginning to my day.  When I awakened to the plaintive and very loud meows of the kitty trapped in our room, the sky outside my window was streaked in the palest of pinks.  I took care of the animals, threw in a load of wash, and headed out for a walk to the small lake nearby.

It was clear and sunny, and almost no one was out and about yet.  There's a walking bridge over the stream running from the lake, and I settled down there to stretch out, my face to the sun and a small waterfall rushing behind me. 

When I got home, ALL THREE of my children were gathered in the kitchen.  What a wonderful sight!  Of course, they had eaten all of the breakfast food, so I had to run out to the grocery.  On the drive there, a holiday morning was clearly in evidence on the treelawns: dads holding coffee mugs, blond toddlers toppling over each other, and dogs racing back and forth.

Everything looks fresh and clean this morning.  Strong winds all night blew the humidity away, no one is racing off to work, and the gardens are heavy with the summer purples and pinks of impatiens and the autumn reds and yellows of mums.  It's a perfect morning to live here.

Walked: 3 miles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are off to a great holiday start!  That's a beautiful picture, too!!!!!

Tracy

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful word picture of a wonderful morning.

Anonymous said...

How nice that all the chicks are back in the nest, if only temporarily.  Sounds like you had a wonderful morning!  Lisa  :-]