Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Autumnal Equinox

I thought I would spend some time this week celebrating the planet's turn into my favorite season:

http://www.mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/knowth/equinoxwest.html Equinox at Knowth
Observations made by Mythical Ireland at Knowth's western passage at Autumn Equinox, September 22, 2000, reveal an interesting surprise - that it may not point exactly towards equinox sunset. Measurements made by a 3-man team show the passage is not oriented due west, but some 7 or more degrees off. Anthony Murphy gained exclusive access for the equinox, and captured the sunlight as it penetrated part of the passage. But the sunlight does not penetrate the full passage until a week or so after equinox.

http://www.mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/knowth/equinoxwest.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Love your informational entries--and your pics.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this is because of a change in orientation of the earth -- there are some small changes that I wouldn't think would be enough over this short a relative time period -- or that they didn't know the exact date of the equinox.

I love this pic!