Thursday, September 30, 2004

Sukkot

http://www.virginia.edu/jewishstudies/images/sukkot_ancient.jpg  

We are now into the first day of the Jewish festival of Sukkot, which began last night and continues for nine days.  A festival of harvest and celebration, Sukkot commemorates the waiting of the Israelites in the desert for their entrance to the Promised Land.  Observant Jews build Sukkahs -- little huts, reminisicent of the mobile huts the Jews lived in as they wandered the desert for 40 years -- outside their homes and eat their meals in their Sukkahs, where they are able to see the sky during the holiday.  

For me, a Christian teaching in a Jewish school, Sukkot has largely meant some extended time off from work to catch up on all the preparation that I should have done over the summer.  (And, this year, to sleep away at least yesterday -- I did get the miserable virus that kept my daughter out of school last week.)  But this year, Sukkot has delivered a new fragment of enlightenment.  

Several people have been writing about the melancholy that they feel with the coming of autumn.  I haven't addressed that, because it's not what I feel, and I've been wondering why.  I have experienced three major life-shattering experiences in my 51 years, each of them with never-ending ripple effects, and each of them had its beginning in October.  And yet, autumn is truly my favorite season, and October my favorite month.  How could that be?  I should be ripping the month of October from the calendar and refusing to acknowledge its existence on anything that has to be dated.   

What occurred to me, as I thought about Sukkot this year, is that, regardless of and despite my personal experiences, insignificant in the vast millenia of human activity, autumn is a time of communal gathering in and harvest, a time of Thanksgiving for the nourishing and life-saving qualities of food and water, and a time of hope in things unseen, as we see the earth put itself to bed in anticipation of the long dark and cold of winter. In winter, we can only wait with foolish optimism for longer days of light and the first green shoots to poke through earth so cold and muddy that it looks as if couldn't support a single living thing, but in autumn the colors of the trees and fields remind us to celebrate.   

I'm sure that this recognition comes from my childhood.  We lived in the country and for four generations my family ran a grain business.  Since it involved the selling of seed and fertilizer and the buying of harvests to be sold to larger markets, I didn't know much about farming itself.  No one in my family put in so much as a vegetable garden, and our only animals were dogs and cats (and, for awhile, the pigeon named Cat).  But we lived in the midst of farms, with corn and soy beans and cows and sheep growing all around us.  In the late summer, a trip to the grocery in town would mean being stuck in the long lines of trucks bringing corn in to sell.  The only real whole-town celebration during the calendar year was the Fall Festival, with the main intersection blocked off for rides and booths.  My father and uncle put in 18 and 20 hour days in October as the beans came in, complained all through November when rain brought things to a standstill, and went back to work feverishly later in the winter, when the ground again became hard enough for the machinery to get into the fields.  

I always thought that I liked the autumn because it was the beginning of a new school year, with all the crispness and promise that that entails.  But now I see things differently.  Autumn is a time for working together, whether in an ancient movement toward a promised land or a contemporary harvesting of food for the winter and seed for the spring.  In either case, it is a time of great industry and hopefulness.  And so far, no matter how desperately out-of-kilter the month of October has sometimes been, its yellows and reds have always been too brief.   

Walked: 3 miles.

Walked this month: 61.3 miles

Walked since beginning journal: 502 miles.

   

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this entry.  Despite being Jewish (though not very observant) I didn't know about Sukkot until about ten years ago when I was dating a guy from an observant family.  I even went to a Sukkot celebration with them.  I love autumn, but I always start to get a little depressed around this time--I blame it on fewer hours of sunlight.  Last year was awful--I was battling postpartum blues AND Autumn blues.  Yuck.

Anonymous said...

Fall has always been my favorite season.  Couldn't say why, really...it just IS.  And October has always been a charmed month for me.  We got married in October, and I started both the jobs I actually liked, and kept for any length of time, in October.  Ever since I was in school, Fall has meant a time of new beginnings for me.  To this day, I still get restless in autumn...thinking I need to start something...  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Really like the picture.  Your entry reminds me of a lost memory...thank you.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you taught in a Jewish school!!!  I am a Christian Jew myself!  You can see some pics of our  Sukkah at my mom's juornal!  http://journals.aol.com/my78novata/LorisLaurels/

Tracy

Anonymous said...

I do mourn the waning light and the end of the gardening/outdoor season but everything else about fall is what makes it the most delightful season - the crisp light, the rustle of leaves, the new beginning of school, the refreshing cool after a hot summer...   I always though I liked it so much because I'm a child of October but it is just a wonderful season.

Thanks for the complete explanation of sukkot.    My neighbor has a hut and we will go for a celebration with her on Sunday.   Do you know what they were carrying to synagogue this morning?   They almost looked like palms.

Anonymous said...

what a truly lovely entry..... thank you! judi

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed the very beginning of autumn in the Appalachians this  week...so crisp and clear...