Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Birthdays

In the 19-aughts, my grandmother, born 99 years ago today, was a tiny girl in a midwestern town, no doubt doted upon by her homemaker mother and executive father.

In the teens, she grew up and went off to board at the Columbus School for Girls.  Somewhere in that time period, maybe a year or two later, she met her future husband, on a golf outing with their respective fathers.

In the 1920s, she was graduated from a Seven Sisters College and married my grandfather on the same day.  She was by all accounts a brilliant student, but largely untouched by the movement that had just resulted in women's suffrage.

By the end of the 30s, she was the mother of three sons, living on a quiet street in a small town, my grandfather's and great-grandfather's business ("Hay-Coal-Seed-Fertilizer-Water") having scraped through the Depression.

She and her family waited out World War II in the 40s and her sons, too young for the military, went off to school in New Hampshire. (Insert: A Separate Peace.)

In the 50s, her grandchildren began to arrive and her new home, built on a picturesque hillside in the country, became a haven for little people.

In the 1960s, tragedy began to strike, with the loss of a daughter in-law and grandson (my family) to a car accident. The 60s also saw the beginning of my grandmother's career as a world traveler, always accompanied by grandchildren.  She gave up on my grandfather, who wouldn't set foot on a plane or a boat, and eventually made it to Europe, Africa, Australia, and the Pacific Islands.

In the 70s she lost two more daughters-in-law in rapid succession.  She was beginning to age, but her home, with its brick patio and lemonade under a maple tree, was always the most welcoming place in our world.

In the eighties she became a great-grandmother and lost her husband.  She listened  to  her granddaughter, though, and had a hip replaced and managed one last trip, a birding jaunt to Trinidad and Tobago, before depression and deafness began their evil incursions into her life.

As the 90s passed, she aged rapidly.  She moved into an assisted living facility and her house was turned over to various members of the younger generations as they went through miscellaneous life transitions. She is a shrunken version of her former self, her bones as brittle as bones can be and her skin like paper, easily bruised and torn.

Today,  her still-keen mind trapped behind the veil of blindness and deafness, she struggles for meaning in daily life.  Help her on with her coat and help her feel her way to her walker, and she speeds down the hallway like a demon, eager for the car ride that will release her from the confines of her physical life.  But much of her time is spent alone, encased in darkness and silence.  She is much burdened by the knowledge that her middle son has been widowed a third time, and frustrated by her inability to understand what her great-grandchildren are up to. 

I read last night that only 1 in 10,000 Americans makes it to the age of 100.  My grandmother -- who told me when she was 80 that "there is just no point to this hip operation -- I'll be dead in two years!" -- seems to be on her way.

********************

On another note, my journal is ONE year old today.  I have never before in my life managed a journal for more than a few consecutive days, so I think a little celebration is in order.  Happy Birthday to Me, Too!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Jour iver sary!  Happy Birthday to your journal!  I have to admit, I was never very good at keeping paper journals, either.  I had books in which I kept scraps of thoughts and ideas, but not anything very readable.  I entered journaling with a lot of doubts and few expectations.  I'm finding the experience worthwhile on so many levels, not the least of which is that I've met you, Robin.  (I will be happy to be able to make my one year announcement, although that won't be until late July!)  Finding people of like mind who can give you some understanding and so greater perspective on life is truly a gift.  Plus, the journal accomplishes an important need--it gives you an audience, which forces you to make sense out of the chaos (if only though writing in complete sentences!)  This changes the whole dynamic of the journaling process for me.  What a life your grandmother has lived.  Did she leave behind journals or letters?

Anonymous said...

Well Happy Birthday to your grandmother, may she live as long and as well as she cares to!  And Happy Anniversary to you!  

Anonymous said...

I can feel the love for you Grandmother in your words.  What an exceptional woman she is.  Happy 99th to her!  
Also Happy 1st Anniversary to you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your grandmother and Happy Anniversary to your journal.  I have truly enjoyed it every "word" of the way.
Tami

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to both your journal and your grandmother! I enjoy your writings; the way you have with words.

betty

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you both.

Anonymous said...

Robin, what a beautiful entry and tribute to your grandmother.  She has led a very full life.  How hard it must be for her to be "encased in darkness and silence."  The loss of faculties is what is so daunting about old age. Sometimes I wonder about all the heroic efforts that are made, but on the other hand... You clearly love and respect your grandmother, and surely she knows that, at least.

As for you, well, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY indeed!!!  Your journal is a constant source of interest, beauty (I just love your photographs), and a peek into the heart of a warm, intelligent, thoughtful woman, whom I am most honored to converse with online.  I'm glad you decided to journal.  I, too, have seldom kept a journal for more than five minutes.  What I love about this medium is the way I have been out in touch with some very fine people, yourself included.  Here's to another great year!!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

I am impressed with your journal anniversary!  Happy to you and many more!

I used to work at an assisted living facility (as a cook); I know how forlorn those people get...how sad some of them are when they lose their independence.  It must be hard for them.  Happy Birthday to your grandmother...I wish her flashes of beauty and music to give her peace and comfort.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post to what appears to me to be an exceptional grandmother.  99 years old....wow....Happy Birthday Robins Grandmother and to you and your journal Happy Anniversary.  As you wrote I got a visual of one of my favorite aunts who's house was always full of her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.  She only lived to be 80 but what a full life she had also.  

Marlene-PurelyPoetry

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to both of you!
Peace,  Virginia

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have a lot of fond memories of good times with your grandmothers.  She's definitely got a shot at being that 1 in 10,000.

Congrats on the year anniversary of your journal!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on keeping your journal going for an entire year.  I've enjoyed reading it and hope you continue on.  You're a very talented writer.  Stacy

Anonymous said...

happy birthdays all around. judi

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the perseverance to keep the journal going for a year.   I enjoy reading it very much!

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Birthday to your Grandmother, I didn't know she went to CSG! And congrats on your journal anniversary. Just great!