Saturday, March 12, 2005

Stolen Goods

If you've heard a version of this already, then you probably won't mind remembering it.  If you haven't, you'll probably "get it" before you reach the end.  But it's worth thinking about anyway.  It was part of the presentation at that retreat I went to last week-end:

So a lady pulls into a gas station on the edge of a little town.  The attendant comes outside, and she says that she's moving to town and wonders what it's like there.  He asks her what it was like where she came from.

"Oh, it was awful," she says.  The people were selfish and obnoxious and incredibly irritating.  I couldn't wait to get out of there."

"Well," says the attendant, shaking his head, "I'm afraid you'll find this town is pretty much just like that."

As she drives off in disgust, another car pulls up.  The driver leans out and says, "Hey -  I'm moving to this town next week.  What's it like here?"  The attendant asks her what it's like where she lives now.

"Oh, it's great!" she enthuses.  "The people are so friendly and generous, always willing to help you out.  I'm so sorry to be leaving."

"I think," he grins, "that you find this town is almost exactly the same."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard it before.   It's wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me a little bit of that Andy Griffith episode about Mayberry, the "friendly town" that turned out to be not so friendly towards a visiting stranger.  In fact, towns, in general, have not fared well in literature, have they?  I'm now thinking of Twain's "The Mysterous Stranger" and "The Man that Corrupted Haddleyburg." Hope you and your family are holding up okay.  My thoughts are with you and your family.  I know from experience what you're all going through and how hard it is.  

Anonymous said...

Something to think about...and quite true, I'm sure.  Lisa :-]

Anonymous said...

great story and so very, very true. I had not heard it before.... thank you:):) judi

Anonymous said...

so very true, it's all in the perspective isn't it?!

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl