Friday, March 25, 2005

Productivity

I'm reading Jim Wallis's new book and hoping that members of the media are, too.  It did seem to me toward the end of the last election that there was a sudden collective, albeit limited, recognition on the part of the august fourth estate that the far right wing of the Republican party does not have a lock on the Christian faith.  Early on in the book, Mr. Wallis notes a reporter's comment  that he had always reported religion from the point of view of the "right" simply because it had the loudest voice.  I think that many reporters, who are themselves on the whole a notoriously secular group, have been surprised to discover that there are vast numbers of deeply faithful Christians whose views are much at odds with the current administration.  Anyway, there's nothing much new in the book for those who share the thoughts that Jim Wallis has been articulating for years in Sojourners, but it's a useful compendium for those who have relied entirely on the mainstream media for their understanding of the Christian message and the people who try to live it.

I'm also reading one of those sweeping historical novels that I find so absorbing when I have a to-do list a mile long.  I am weeks behind in grading student assignments, I don't have that chilled wine in the frig that I mentioned a few entries back -- not to mention the shining floors, clear windows, clear counters and organized stacks -- and I have to do reams of research on the dome of St. Peter's for my own class -- so naturally I am about to go back to bed to curl up with a saga that begins in the land of the druids and is going to take me forward about 1000 years.

A friend is IMing me, trying to get me to go for a walk, and the phone that I can't find is ringing, so I think I'll go back to bed and read.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got God's Politics in my To Be Read stack, and I'm looking forward to it.  Enjoy your book.  It sounds like the perfect choice today.

Anonymous said...

"The Princes of Ireland" looks really good to me...  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see religion play a much less dominating role in government and in the discussion of public policy, but it seems unlikely to work out that way any time soon.  So the next best thing would be to hear occasionally from Christians who share some of my values, rather than always hearing from the one's we see and hear all the time.  Happy Easter!

Neil

Anonymous said...

Reading IS being productive, so good for you!  I also enjoy reading Wallis's thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Speaking as one who doesn't get it, I'm pleased to learn that there are those who do get it. and get it right.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the perfect thing to do, Celeste!  I am about to get rid of cable TV, in my never-ending search for expenses to get rid of, and I am looking forward to reading more without that relentless eye in the corner.  

As for Wallis, I am afraid I haven't heard of him, but he sounds intriguing.  I am not Christian, although I was raised as such, but I very much support the right of an individual to believe as he or she chooses.  What I can't abide from the Christian right is that "I am right and you are wrong" rhetoric that assures me that I am well on my way to hell.  I saw a bumper sticker the other day that really got my goat.  It said something like, "Christians aren't always right, but they are forgiven."  Am I alone in seeing  that as kind of smug?

Celeste, I very much admire your integrity and your spirituality.  You shine.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts - and I wish you a very Happy Easter,

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the book recommendations, I'll look for them! :)