Tuesday, March 8, 2005

L'Chaim

My father called very late last night, which he never does, to tell me that the doctors have finally advised that my stepmother move from their care to hospice care.  After four months of grueling chemo and radiation, four months in which she has barely left her couch (and amost never without assistance), they have concluded that they have no more tricks up their sleeves.

The third eagle chick has hatched at Blackwater.

My stepmother was canoeing in the Algonquin backcountry with my father and sons in September.  After her diagnosis, she insisted on following the doctors' treatment schedule to the letter, even though her chances were almost nonexistent and the hour-long trips (one way) to the hospital and the drugs administered there left her exhausted, often physically sick, and sometimes mentally disoriented.

The third chick is a few days later than its siblings and therefore comes into the world with the distinct disadvantage of being much smaller than its competitors for food.

I've already explored my feelings about the path my father and stepmother have taken, here and here and here and here and here and here.   I don't think I would have made the same choices.  I know I would have asked more questions.  But I have to honor my stepmother for being a woman of incredible grit and determination, and my father for his exquisite care of her.

The eagles don't ask questions.  There is the next day, and the next, and the next.  They sat on a nest for weeks, even when they were buried in snow.  For the next months, the mother will be a dedicated nurturer and a ferocious defender, and the father will be an exhausted provider.  In the summer, given hours and days and weeks and months of unremitting attentiveness, with some luck tossed in, five eagles will soar over the nest and the Blackwater refuge.

Despite the fact that I would have liked to have seen the hospice folks called long before today and despite my personal view that death is best anticpated with openness, in community, I feel a terrible weight of sadness this morning as those things are all about to fall into place.  My stepmother is a woman of vitality and vivacity and my father is a man of great gentleness and love for the created world.  It was surprising that they even encountered each other, but it's not surprising that in the aftermath of painful endings to prior marriages, each would conclude that the other offered hope for a new life and risk falling in love again.  They have that, that surprising and life-affirming love, to celebrate now. 

I won't see them in person, but I feel a great joy when I wake up in the mornings these days and remember that I can come downstairs and, with a couple of clicks, see what the Blackwater eagles are up to.  The adults are nurturing beginnings, entirely devoted to the prospect of filling our skies with magnificence.

L'Chaim -- To Life.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish we could all embrace life with the dignity and openness you've shown here.

Anonymous said...

They are in my thoughts and prayers.    I wish her the absolute least pain and most peace possible.

Anonymous said...

I will be keeping you all in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

The circle of life.  One life comes to a close.  Three lives begin.  

Don't be too upset about your stepmother's choices.  Another of my journal friends (Gayla) has a mother who is struggling through the last stages of lung cancer.  She refused the chemo and radiation, but she hasn't had it much easier than your stepmother.  Pain meds have kept her incoherent and non-functional, and have not really been managing the pain.  She's on a new plan now that seems to be helping her much more...  Anyway, the result will be the same no matter which path was chosen.  Your stepmother chose to see if she could buy a few more good months.  Given the relationship she's in and the place she lives, I can hardly blame her for that.  Blessings on her, your dad, and the rest of your family as you travel the last miles with her.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

{{{{{Robin}}}}}  Love ya gurlie :-)   Pamela

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about what is happening with your stepmom and wish her peace. Blessings to your father and family, I wish there were something else I could say. I hopefully will get to see the eagles this spring....... and I will give them a very special hello from you. judi

Anonymous said...

It seems that this wonderful woman is moving from a good life to a good death. How lucky they have each other indeed. And so, the wheel turns. Life and eagles go on. Hospice care is very helpful and understanding. L'Chaim how appropriate.

Anonymous said...

To anticipate a death by focusing on new life--a wonderful way to see and feel things.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful entry, Robin.  It reminds me of the way I felt when my mother died in 1999; she died in the Spring, her favorite season.  I remember going for a walk by the river and looking at all the budding trees and smelling the damp earth, the decayed leaves, and feeling both thankful and lost and also very sad.  I wish you and your family well during this last lap.  To life.