Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Death Comes When It Will

This morning as I walked to my father's house, nestled in the woods above a creek bank, a red-bellied woodpecker made its insistent whirring cry above me, a pair of mallards flew over the roof, cardinals called, and nuthatches zipped about. 

"She would be sorry to miss this, " I thought to myself.  "The first decent weather in weeks, and sounds of life ringing through the woods."

On Sunday, a series of phone calls indicated that my stepmother had begun a precipitious decline and was probably nearing the end.  Stunned by her mental confusion and physical agitation, my father had called a young relative to put her in the car and driven off to the hospital.  Tests showed that initial fears -- pneumonia or brain bleeds -- were unfounded, and anti-anxiety meds helped to calm her, but I decided to go anyway.  I'm not sure why, but I thought maybe she needed me to help her let go.  She certainly had no intention of leaving, either this life or my father.

I arrived at about 3:00 a.m. after a long drive across a quiet state.  A once vital and elegant woman lay in the hospital bed, breathing roughly but otherwise completely unresponsive.  Since I've always been told that people can hear voices even as everything else is shutting down, I sat down, told her I was there to help take care of her, and began to stoke her hand.  Her jagged breathing began to calm and I told her, my father's intrepid canoeing partner, to lie back in the canoe and let the sun shine on her face. 

Within a few minutes she was gone, quietly and peacefully, my father on one side, I on the other.

I will never know whether she heard me, or whether her breathing was simply the last physical manifestation of someone who hours earlier had moved on.  But I like to think that, as she died, she could hear gentle waves lapping and the loons of the North Woods calling her to journey to a more peaceful place.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss.  This however is such a beautiful tribute to the passing on of a spirit into a place that we can only imagine until it's our time.  The picture is so enchantingly serene and peaceful as was your beautifully poetic sharing.    Thank you for that and for being there for her and your father.

Marlene-PurelyPoetry

Anonymous said...

What a kindness! What a beautiful death! How lucky we are when we can participate in the last great life event of a loved one. I know she heard you...in my heart...I just know.
God Bless!

Anonymous said...

What a peaceful end for her, with two people she loved on either side.  

Anonymous said...

You, your dad, and your family have my heartfelt sympathy, Robin.  As my father lay dying, much the same as your stepmother, I told him to join my uncle in his little boat and just go fishing.  I'm sure he heard, as I'm sure your stepmother did.  May she rest well in that canoe on her journey.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

I believe with all my heart she heard you :-)   Pamela

Anonymous said...

I'm sure she heard you and I'm so glad you decided to go there and be with her and your father.{{{}}}

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your father's and your loss. Thank you for sharing it with us. May God bless you and comfort you in your grieving. I believe your stepmother did hear you talk to her.

betty

Anonymous said...

I was sad to hear about her death but am hopeful that she is in a much better place.    I'm glad you were there.   Your family is in my thoughts and prayers!

Anonymous said...

What a loving tribute.  My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Anonymous said...

What a touching entry. The picture was the perfect ending.

I am sorry to hear of the recent loss of your step-mother. I am glad that you were able to be with her in the end. I know it must have been a comfort for your Dad to have had you with them. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. I pray that your step-mother is now in peace with the Lord.

God Bless.
TiasNme2

Anonymous said...

Oh Robin, this is just beautiful.  It was such a perfect thing you told her at the end, to lie back in the canoe.  What a wonderful gift you gave her.  

Anonymous said...

Your heart and mind steered you right when they sent you on your lonely, late-night drive. You were where you needed to be and where you were needed. That time will always be with you.

Anonymous said...

This was a beautiful tribute to your stepmother. I am so sorry for you and your family. Your being there during the time of her last breath is an honor you'll never forget. Thank you for sharing such a personal, touching moment in your life with us.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

But I like to think that, as she died, she could hear gentle waves lapping and the loons of the North Woods calling her to journey to a more peaceful place.

Sniff:::well written, Robin. I am sure you sobbed as you wrote it. I am so convinced that you sent her home with her face to the sun that I have goosebumps reading it again. How lucky she was to have you and yours. She sure was loved.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such a touching entry.  I'm sorry for your loss.
Tami

Anonymous said...

What a lovely and loving tribute, and what a gift you gave her, Robin.  Thank you for sharing this beautiful moment.  I hope you and your father can comfort each other for this great loss.  It sounds like a peaceful end, and one which we all might wish for.

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

What a loving tribute you've written and special last moments you had together, may they both bring you some comfort in your sorrow.
Meg

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your father, and for you, and for your family.... and know that you helped her to move on. There is a grace in that, a gift you gave.... I am proud of you. judi

Anonymous said...

i am sure she heard you in more ways than one.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss, but I am glad that you were there to midwife her into her new Birth.

love, Kas

Anonymous said...

beautiful tribute, I'm so sorry for your loss, breathtakign photo

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

You and your family have been so brave through all of this. I know you will miss your stepmother a great deal.  Sending you a hug through cyberspace.

Anonymous said...

tears............oh my.


beautiful words.....


Anonymous said...

I am sorry to be so late in expressing my condolences. You have written a beautiful tribute that could only have come from the heart.