Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Why?

The beach at St. Augustine is calling me.  The pull is intensely powerful this time of year -- March after March we took our children to the beach and, when I wake up before six on a morning in early spring, I know it's time for a walk on the beach.

But I live here and, while I've got that stuck-in-the-mud feeling I talked about earlier, a feeling that seems to be shared by many, there are reasons we haven't picked up and moved.  Since I was feeling so fused to my locale the other day, I decided to make a conscious effort to remember some of them:

I have at least eight close women friends right here, most of them within a few blocks of me, whose lives and friendships enrich mine beyond measure and on whom I can count for anything, anytime of the day or night.  

I have wonderful next-door neighbors with whom I have shared the joys and trials of parenthood for 20 years.  

I can walk half a mile to the grocery, a drugstore, a bookstore, and two ethnic restaurants.   

I can walk half a mile the other way to my drugstore of choice, several more restaurants, and a group of funky shops.  

My immediate neighbors are Irish, Lebanese, German, Democrat, Republican, Bosnian, Hispanic, gay, straight, black, white, married, divorced, single students, Christian, Jewish.  

I can walk 2-3 miles to a natural area with two lakes and thousands of migrating birds in the spring and fall.  

I have known  my ob-gyn for more than 25 years.  

I live in a community that has established a domestic partner registry.  

I live in a community where we vigorously debate EVERYTHING, from the aforesaid registry to the destruction of trees for a soccer field on public school property.  

I belong to a wonderful church where God's love for all is taught practically every minute.  

My house has very cool woodwork and French doors and built-in cupboards and a library with a fireplace and pathetic plumbing -- all available in any number of houses here.  

My children were able to go to terrific Montessori schools minutes away from preschool through eighth grade.  

I can walk to world class museums and concerts and a major university and medical center.  

I live in a community where people who could easily live elsewhere have made a conscious choice to live out the power of diversity.  

The sun shines here at least ten days a year.  Really, how greedy should one person be?          

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your neighborhood is truly wonderful.    You can vacation at the beach but those friendships have a higher value than almost anything, in my opinion.

I can relate to the longing.   This may be our first summer ever without a beach vacation.    Too many big expenses and not enough preplanning this year.

Anonymous said...

Wow!  Sounds great...but probably a little too "citified" for me.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Jaime and I have said if we would have made some good friends here or the neighbors had been nicer, it would have made the world of difference.  We may have even stayed put.  It sounds like you have a great situation there and I'd be hesitant to move also.

Anonymous said...

You're doing what's necessary to regain balance.  You've been through a lot lately; a death always makes us reassess our lives and our goals.  You're doing a great job coming to grips.  

Anonymous said...

Wow, great job counting your blessings!  That's a great list and make ME want to move to your neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you practically have the whole world in your neighborhood.  Any houses for sell around there? ::grinning::  I seriously know what you mean about St. Augustine Beach.  I love it there.  During the summer months, I practically lived in St. Augustine.  Just about every Friday and Saturday I would take my ritual pilgrimage down A1A through Ponte Vedra on to downtown and make my way across The Bridge Of Lions and to the beach.  :)

Anonymous said...

Oh...great picture and I love your list of things that make your life wonderful.  Your last sentence cracked me up...only 10 days a year????

Anonymous said...

you have a lot to be thankful for, and I love St. Augustine beach too. judi

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful sunrise. This is why we take pictures. You need to be in St. Augustine, and this gives you a little fulfillment of that need.