Tuesday, May 10, 2005

A Perfect Day - Somewhere Else

I have been playing around with what-do-I-want-to-be-when-I-grow-up questions, incited, no doubt, by my youngest's imminent departure for college, and I've been looking at websites focused on creating a life mission statement.  I'm sure that many of us have done this; it's an excellent method for procrastinating the actual getting on with one's life.  At any rate, one such site suggested as an exercise writing out your idea of a perfect day.  I had a lot of fun with that one, although I only chose one perfect kind of day.  Maybe I'll try another one in a week or so. 

In my first perfect day, I live in a condo on the ocean in St. Augustine Beach.  I have a particular condo in mind, because I've stayed there: it opens onto the dunes and has a huge deck from which you can see the ocean, and the master bedroom is on the ocean side.

I wake up to the sound of the ocean while it's still dark.

I take a sunrise 3-mile walk on the beach, come in and shower, and go back out to the beach to do yoga while my hair dries.

I spend the morning on the deck doing my own work -- writing, working on photos, preparing classes. I eat a light and healthy breakfast and lunch while I am doing those things.

In the early afternoon I go into town, where I teach a couple of classes or go to a meeting or two, and then meet a friend for an early Margarita on the porch of Scarlett O'Hara's or one of the restaurants on the bayfront.

I go back home (Imagine! "Home" is on the ocean!) and change and grab my gear and head over to the marsh for a little kayak trip to a tiny oyster shell-encrusted island so that I can shoot some sunset photos as the full moon rises over the Mantanzas River.  I am particularly fond of moonrises over the river as pelicans and herons sail toward their evening roosting spots. 

As it gets dark I am loading my kayak back onto my car rack and heading home for a late dinner and conversation with my husband.  He's made the dinner, of course, since I am a dreadful cook, and we have become very European in our dining times.

We go out to check on the ocean one last time before falling asleep.  It is, miraculously, still there.

Trillium -- Yes, In the Midwest

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds REALLY nice!  Maybe someday....   Pamela

Anonymous said...

I ask myself this question every day. Someday I hope I'll find the answer. Your idea of a perfect day sounds wonderful. Anytime I'm at the ocean, I feel like I'm back home. Thx for the daydream! ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

It sounds wonderful.  I wonder if people who live in a place like this truly enjoy it to it's fullest or they just wake up and yawn and say "Another day, I need a change of scenery."  BTW, I like the invisible ink look. ; )

Anonymous said...

Living on the beach....I am so there.   I have actually been thinking that maybe in a few years I will sell my house and do just that...  well except I'd still have to work.  Unless of course i win the lottery....  yea!  the lottery, that's the ticket.  

Anonymous said...

Perfect in every way!
Best,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

another stunner of an image.
and what a day!  lordy, who wouldn't think this was a perfect day?
i don't think i can do this exercise at the current time, it might make me weep and never stop.  my life is so far from perfect it just ain't funny.

Anonymous said...

ahhhhh. I don't dare to dream... I just live each day. I admire you. judi

Anonymous said...

My perfect day/perfect life also includes living on the ocean.  If only money were no object.....

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a perfect day to me.  Hope you're able to enjoy many real ones just like it someday soon.

Anonymous said...

And how was this exercise supposed to point you in the direction of what you wanted to be when you grew up?

My idea of a perfect day right now would have something to do with owning my own restaurant and winning the lottery...  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

I could do this day. Just sustitute frozen yogurt for yoga, and Emmylou Harris for your husband.

Anonymous said...

<<And how was this exercise supposed to point you in the direction of what you wanted to be when you grew up?
>>

I think that if you figure out a Perfect Day in detail, that is supposed to give you some clues as to what you care about.  And actually, it did.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes yes yes!  

Though mountains are pretty darn good, too!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/