Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Trading Places

It seems to me that there is some kind of reality television show out there about family members who trade places for awhile.  I have found the next candidates -- my friend Pamela and me!  Pamela has just transformed her back yard, practically overnight.  I know that it didn't seem so fast to her, but trust me on this one -- to those of us who might take the entire summer to wash a window or two, what she has done is positively miraculous. 

So here's what I've sent her:

I will be on a flight to Atlanta later tonight.  I'll just take the metro out to your house; don't give my arrival a thought.  You will find me lounging on a floater in the middle of the pool when you get up in the morning.  Tell your husband  I have few requirements -- a margarita every evening would be nice.  I have no plans to clean, putter, garden, redecorate, or construct anything at all.  I'll just stay in the pool.  

When you get to the Cleveland airport, I suggest that you stop by Home Depot on your way in.  I will leave a large credit for you.  Just be sure that you include a hot tub in the back yard design, and I would like some of those very cool turtle steps that you walk on.  Our soil here is almost 100% solid clay, so it will take quite a bit of work to make the gardens functional, but I know you can handle it.  

You can send me pictures.  When the yard is done, you can start on the drive which has to be replaced -- we're putting pavers in the back, or else doing that cool concrete stamping thing that you did, so the back turnaround can double as a patio.  

I figure this will take you all summer, so buy some winter clothes on me.  I'm certainly not coming back until the azaleas are in bloom again next spring.  I don't see any reason for ME to leave Atlanta when YOU could have the pleasure of snow next winter instead of me.  I'll consider it my sacred duty to make sure that your pool water heater is fully operational.  

See you in a  few hours!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This totally cracks me up.   Pamela

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it just a short while back that you were writing so warmly and convincingly about how much you LOVE where you live???  <G>  Lisa  :-]  http://journals.aol.com/mlraminiak/ComingtotermswithMiddleAge

Anonymous said...

I DO love where I live.  But that wouldn't stop me from letting Pamela do in one summer what I couldn't manage in a decade!  And then why should I come back to snow?

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this!!  Now I can't wait for Pamela's response!!  

Go for it, Ocean!!  And have a margarita for me while you're at it!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

No way!  She's in my city and she's coming here first!  I need her miracle makeover on my yard, badly!  lol.  

Anonymous said...

This is the funniest thing!  Where's the sign-up sheet for Pamela to transform my backyard?  Oh, alright...I'll be happy with her working her magic on my potted plants.
Best,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

That is so cute.

Anonymous said...

LOL, just reading the comments....  I would love to help all of you.  I really enjoy the planning of it all.  However, I have to give my husband some credit too, he does a lot of the hard physical work and is even starting to come up with some good ideas too!  Pamela