Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Why Blog?

Lisa over at Coming To Terms has raised some thoughtful questions about blogging -- why we do it, what the rewards are, why we stop.   She notes that a number of excellent writers have vanished from the AOL scene and wonders what drives us to start and then to drop out -- topics, comments, reader numbers, what?

I suppose that many of us ruminate about these issues.  After all, journaling does steal time from many other endeavors.  And reading journals -- journals and journals and journals, oh my! 

I started my journal thinking diet and fitness -- I thought I would make myself more accountable by appearing in print.  Well, that sure worked.  But what I did find, as my friend Kathryn has noted, is that the very act of keeping a public journal has changed the way that I look at things.  I am much more attentive to the bits and pieces of my life now, often thinking of how some minor occurrence or idea will translate into a journal entry.

That ""public" is the rub. This journal has been a regular activity in my life for nearly 14 months now -- that's about 13 months and 3 weeks longer than I've managed to keep up with any of my handwritten journals.  There's no doubt that the comments are a huge motivating factor.  I wasn't anticipating the community aspect of AOL journals at all, but I have found a small group of folks with whom I seem to share a certain crooked perspective on enough topics to keep us all reading and supporting one another -- some regularly, some erratically.  I'm one of those all-over-the-place journalers, so I've had to realize that I'll never gain much of a dedicated following.  Lisa is right -- the psychology of the genre seems to lend itself toward categorization, and my rambles through reading, family life, teaching, nature, religion, travel, photography, politics, and the neighborhood don't seem easily categorizable.  I'm also pretty circumspect in print, and that's just me -- I'm not going to say anything much at all about my job or rant about my family in such a public space.  No Queen of Sky problems for me, thank you very much -- and I want to feel confident that anything my family members find online won't lead to civil war.

I'm the same kind of reader -- all over the place.  Sometimes I just sit and follow journal link to journal link.  I used to save the ones I liked, but I'm almost given up on that -- otherwise I would be reading journals 24/7.  My Favorite Places category for journals is about to explode as it is.  But my proclivity for reading just about anyone on just about anything probably makes me a poor journal fan.  An ADD reader isn't your best bet for building a solid and consistent reader base.

I have been wondering if my journaling is running its course, but for a couple of good reasons.  For one, I've explored most of my limited range of opinions in the past year, and there's no reason to bore other people into the sound sleep that eludes me every night.  (Hey! Let them all wander around the house at 4:00 a.m, too!)  And, for a second, I'm becoming increasingly interested in working on my writing in a maybe-fine-tune-this-maybe-publish-something kind of way, and that takes TIME.  So I may start to reschedule msyelf a bit.

On the other hand (there's always another hand), as I flip through the past 14 months, my journal tells me that I've seen a third child through high school and the college application process, sent older kids off on European travels, gotten two courses close to another degree, revived my interest in photography, acquired some new leadership responsibilities, survived a traumatic election, worked on my writing, and shared the end of life with a beloved family member.  There's something to be said for hanging on to some version of it all.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never been able to keep a "real" journal and didn't really expect to stay at my blog this long.  But, the reality is...I have met people here that I don't want to lose.  I've started looking at it as almost a series of friendly letters.  I don't write every day...and I don't have strong opinions on a lot of things.  But it's sharing with people like you....who I can connect with, that keep me going.  It is a good thing in my life.

Anonymous said...

I just read Lisa's entry before coming here...I think we all do it for our own reasons.... mainly I want to chronicle our life for my daugher, having never expected others would read it too...and for that reason (my daugther) I continue, but only when the mood strikes...when I;m not feeling anything worthy to contribute anymore, I'll end the journal, but the time being, don't pressure myself to write more.. I enjoy stopping by here and hope you continue.   :-)

~  www.jerseygirljournal.com      

Anonymous said...

I can sympathize with your comment about hand writing journals. I never made past two or three entries myself. One, I can barely read my own handwriting and it gets worse every year. Two I can type faster than I can write and seem to be able to gather my thoughs better. Now, if I could just figure out how to type and knit at the same time. :-)

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I find when I think I have run out of things to write about something always happens.  I agree with you about the family and work.  I am still shy about my writing and already know one of Joes family reads my jnl and then uses it in a mean manner with  him...unbelievable! So, I find I have been stifled for about four months....yet, not too stifled! lol.  

Anonymous said...

I've always enjoyed reading your journal.  You are an excellent writer and I often think when I'm reading some of your entries that this could be published, this is as good or better than much of what I read in the paper or magazines, etc.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.  Personally, I hope you continue with your journal simply because I enjoy reading it.  LOL!  And you're right also in that keeping a journal you can look back through the year(s) and read a record of your thoughts and experiences... probably with more clarity and accuracy than you'd be able to without a written record.  

Anonymous said...

I for one hope that you keep journaling. But that's just me being selfish.  I could definitely see you pursuing some more "formal" types of writing.

Anonymous said...

I think we all blog for very different reasons, which is why there are so many different types of journals out there.  Personally, I think you should blog when the mood strikes you and leave it at that.  I really like the idea that I have some sort of record of my life and that's about all I am trying to accomplish.  Although I could see taking it more seriously, when I have less responsibility with children.  Anyway....  it is what it is and I enjoy your journal but also think you should pursue some professional opportunities in writing since you love it so much.

blah blah blah.  see I'm not a thoughtful writer...  It just comes out.  You have a gift though, and I think that is great in and of itself.   Pamela

Anonymous said...

Damn it, Robin...don't YOU start talking about giving it up, too!

I think what bothers me about people leaving journal land is that it makes it obvious that the "connections" that I think I have made are really not that at all.  I keep forgetting that other people have real lives, I guess...  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

Very well put. I hope you keep journaling though. ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

Life changes constantly.    If you feel the need to limit your journaling time, I can respect that but please don't disappear completely.     I don't think that, even after 14 months of writing a journal, you have come close to the end of what you have to say.

Thanks for including the link to my journal.   It was a nice reminder to grab my camera and do an update.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your journal, viewing the beautiful pictures, even get a kick out of seeing how far you walked (although haven't seen any reference to this in some time).  You know better than anyone that it's okay to take a step back and evaluate where you've been and consider which direction you intend to go.  In the past 14 months of journal documentation, your accomplishments are impressive.  You've covered a lot of ground.  Only you know how much ground is left to unearth.  Again, I enjoy reading your journal, I like the variety you bring to the table.
Best,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your comments and had similar thoughts before starting an on-line journal - why start when it consumes so much time, becomes another thing to do, when I don't want to talk in a public forum about some of the things closest to me -but I think, for me it may have a helpful, unintended consequence:  if I "meet" one person with whom I could start a meaningful dialogue, that will be some solace!  Anyway--thanks for sharing your comments and experience. --Beth  

Anonymous said...

Why Blog?  'Cause you have to?  
Alterantely, 'cause reading yours gives me a great excuse to not have time to write in mine?  ;-)

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you...journaling is a release and a prision.