Sunday, May 1, 2005

Prom? Already? Already Over?

A baby who always navigated the world in her own way, a scoot rather than a crawl.

A tiny girl with a white-blond cap of hair, standing underneath a newly identified crabapple tree: "Don't let the crabs out!"

A kid in elementary school, taking advantage of Montessori freedom to write cat stories with her girlfriends all day long.

A 10-year-old homeschooler, volunteering at the animal shelter.

A middle schooler, making a graduation speech in which she minces no words about the diappointments wrought by administrative changes.

A high school freshman, stiffening herself against almost unbearable loss and heartache.

A sophomore, realizing that she's "maybe smarter than I thought!"

A junior, reconsidering the above.

Friday, a senior going to her last high school classes EVER.

Last night, a girl with a prom dress and a date.

Tomorrow, back to the animal shelter, after an absence of five years, for a month-long senior project.

It was all too fast.

I love you, sweetie.

 

 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing this entry; its incredible how fast the time goes. I treasure every moment with my 16 y/o son knowing these days are coming to an end very shortly. I look at a young harried mom with several young children close by her and you can see the look in her eyes of disbelief when you tell her it will go by incredibly quick, but she, too, one day will tell someone "savor every moment that you can because it does go by too fast". Good luck to your daughter!!

Anonymous said...

This is a simply beautiful entry, and speaks for itself!
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

I would be crying all the time if I were you.  I hate to think of the day my youngest is graduating.  Of course maybe by then my oldest will be settling down and giving me grandchildren.  Or thinking about it.  At least living near us....  See, I'm a mess already.   Pamela

Anonymous said...

Great memories.  Onto new very exciting adventures now.  The fun is just starting.  {{{}}}

Anonymous said...

Joni said it: Who knows where the time goes?

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to a special young woman.  How time speeds by.  My sons will both be well and truly gone in a few short months and I can scarcely believe it.  We parents are given a special gift, and it is oh so hard to give it back when we have done our part.  But give them back to the world we must.

You should be proud, Ocean,

Vicky

Anonymous said...

Aww, this brought tears to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

This makes me want to cry. What a wonderful tribute. Did you share it with your daughter?

http://journals.aol.com/lici/AWritersAngst

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I am so touched.  I am facing the same milestone this year.  The dress is in the closet...the college is selected.  How did it happen SO quickly?!?!

Anonymous said...

What a loving tribute to your beautiful daughter.

Anonymous said...

oh this tugs at my heart. Milestones. Thanks for sharing. judi

Anonymous said...

I hope she had a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

I know you are very proud.  I hope she had a fun time..
Tami

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! And I understand completely. It's bittersweet when they grow up!

~Pamela AKA Phil's girl